Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Anyone visited Kakunodate before? 2007/9/25 06:28
I'm headed to Japan next month and I'm planning on going to Kakunodate's Samurai District and was wondering what to expect, is it easy to locate from the JR station? I've been to Japan previously, and I've seen a mix of stuff from Tokyo, to Yamadera, to Yamagata-shi, so I'm also wondering what kind of town size to expect when I show up in Kakunodate and how tricky it'll be to navigate.
by Aaron  

... 2007/9/26 10:47
I have been there. The station is not centrally located, about a 10 minute walk from the samurai district. But I had no problems finding it.
by Uji rate this post as useful

kakunodate 2007/9/26 13:47
Kakunodate is tiny; very easy to find your way around...I would say impossible to get lost. I only spent one night there, but I enjoyed it. I have a friend who is from there and she complains because there is no movie theater and she has to drive two hours to get to Starbucks....
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

How was it? 2007/11/14 13:02
I am sorry I didn't see your message until now. I am surfing on this website after 5-year absence. I went to Kakunodate several times and I know some local people but I think it is too late since you seems to have been there last month. I hope you have enjoyed your trip!
by Hiroko rate this post as useful

Factory Outlet 2007/11/14 13:12
IS there any Factory Outlet store in central tokyo that easy acess by subway?
by Louis rate this post as useful

Trip went off well... 2007/11/14 14:05
I found a site that advertises itself as Samurai World that's basically a museum dedicated to one of the houses in the district. The district itself wasn't super amazing or anything, but the Samurai World home was well worth the 500Y admission. Very interesting. Also of note is the whole row of sakura trees that line the river through town. Even without the blossoming, given that it was October, it's still very gorgeous.

A friend let me borrow his DSLR and I got some amazing pics. Thanks again everyone for the information about this area. It is VERY easy to get around in and the local station had an easy to read map in the form of a local tourism magazine that's RIGHT next to the train station platform exit.
by Aaron rate this post as useful

Good! 2007/11/14 14:46
I am glad to hear things were convenient for you. That is a cute area and VERY relaxing since there aren't many people. ha ha. Cherry Blossoms there are beautiful. You know, they are different type from the most popular type. In winter, those houses and streets are covered by heavy snow, which is also fantastic.
There was a national competition of Kayak at the river near there in September or October. One of the strongest kayak team in Japan based on Kakunodate.
by Hiroko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread