Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

6D Tokyo - where to go? Advices needed 2007/9/26 09:40
Hi all, I'll be going to Tokyo (Narita Airport) from 5th to 10th Dec. Currently planning for my itinerary. But am really clueless. Would like to hear some advices.

I'll only reach NRT airport at 2:50pm and my departure flight back is at 5:30pm. So technically I only have 4 full days. Is it advisable to travel out of Tokyo given the tight 6days? (For eg Kyoto or Osaka?) I would really love to visit Mt Fuji, is it very far away from Tokyo central? (Places like Shinjuku for eg.)
I'm not too sure how to start planning, hope to have some advices. Thank you.
by mapleleaves  

. 2007/9/26 11:29
I would start research here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1103.html
by John rate this post as useful

.. 2007/9/26 11:36
What are you interested in seeing in Tokyo? I can recommend a couple of things, just depends what your most interested in?

A day trip to Hakone is very possible if you plan well.
by Tristan rate this post as useful

Tentative Itinerary 2007/10/6 15:14
I have roughly draft out my itinerary, so need some comments.. thanks in advance!

Arrival (5th Dec) Wed
reached at 2:50pm.. planned time of arrival at hotel around 5pm?
shop ard hotel area (either Shinjuku or Ikebukuro area)

Thurs (6th Dec)
Disneyland or Disneysea (Whole day) - still thinking if i should go since i've been to disneyland in HK before...

Fri (7th Dec)
Mt Fuji/Hakone Tour -- should I join the sunrise day tour to hakone/mt fuji or that area is pretty easy to navigate and explore on ur own? Do i need a whole day for this?

Sat (8th Dec)
Shopping at Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shibuya

Sun (9th Dec)
Odaiba, Ueno, Asakusa, Roppongi

Mon (10th Dec)
Shopping ard hotel area again (cos have to go to airport at ard 130pm, flight departing at 530pm)

Wonder how's the itinerary like.. need some inputs. Thanks lots.

Also, I'm still shortlisting hotels... would like to know at Ikebukuro, is it safer at the West area or East area? Cos saw this "Romance street' at the west side of Ikebukuro , does it mean it's the red-light district?

Anyone has any comments on Hotel Grand City and Dai Ichi Ikebukuro hotels? HOw abt Listel Shinjuku?

(Sorry for this long post!)
by mapleleaves rate this post as useful

help 2007/10/13 13:06
hi,

any advices on my tentative itinerary? thx..
by mapleleaves rate this post as useful

Pushing it .... 2007/10/13 16:43
5th - realistically, arriving at Narita anytime between 3-5pm on an international incoming flight from the US means you'll realistically get out of immigration/port entry up to 2 hours later (yep, dec is BUSY!) if you're unlucky to arrive just when a boatload of other planes have arrived.

I've been there and done that - so bring a video player and expect a long wait. On normal days, it's 30min - 1 hour.

After that, you'll pickup your bags, then to customs. That's usually quick, so you'll be in Narita airport terminal next.

Then, it's off to the money exchange (there's usually two open). Another 15 minutes or so to get some Yen for the USD. (You can also change ahead of time in the US and bypass this, but it's usually cheaper to exchange here.)

Also, keep in mind that just about -everything- in Tokyo realistically runs off cash. Try to get a train pass with a credit card? Ha ha ha... I'll laugh all the way to the street if you try that!

You'll need at least 10,000Yen (that's about $100 USD) exchanged to get out of Narita and into Tokyo, then Tokyo to wherever you're staying in Tokyo.

(yep, trains in Japan are your happy Cash-Gobbling-Monsters, so remember to brings lots of cash to feed the happy trains)

Just the Narita Express (NEX) to Tokyo Station ticket alone will cost you about $40USD.

---

If you're thinking something insane like tripping over to Shinjuku (almost the other side of Tokyo (west) from Tokyo station (east)) right after the NEX, then expect to be jammed into crowded as canned fish rush hour traffic as you ride the train over to Shinjuku.

(keep in mind, this is after a 10-13 hour flight, 1-3 hours in the airport, 1 hour on the NEX.)

Taxis will gobble up cash even faster, and realistically, won't travel much faster, if at all, during the night time rush hour.

That said, if you stayed in a place right off the main Narita to Tokyo Station or Ueno stops, then you can practically drag yourself into the hotel right away.

eg. NEX to Tokyo Station, then a stay at any local hotel.

Otherwise, most hotels not right near a station will take 10-30 minutes on foot after you get out of the station. (realistically, longer because you'll be sightseeing, a little lost, and not used to dragging all of those bags)

Here, a taxi right from the local station stop to the hotel is a nice idea.
by D =) rate this post as useful

Pushing it .... 2007/10/13 16:49
6th - Disney. Realistically, unless you're a hard-core disney fan, skip this. Yes, it's different and lots of fun, but it's just Disney.

And realistically, if you tried to do both parks, you'd have to go from the moment they open to the moment they close just to fit in all of the rides and wait at the 1-2+ hour lines they've got. (yep, long, long lines)

Hint - bring ski gear-type jackets and gloves!!! Dec will be extremely cold and you'll freeze standing in line outside at Disney!!! If you can't handle sub 50 to sub 40F temperatures outside all day long at Disney, well.....

--

7th - yep, an entire day and better get the earliest Odakyu line out as you can and the latest one back, too.

It's an hour out to Hakone easily, and at least an hour to two just to ride the nice boat across the huge lake up there, another hour or two to do the cable car to the top, etc.

As for Mt. Fuji, someone look it up - I think it's gonna be closed off season in Dec, so you'll only be able to look at it, not climb it.

Easier if you get a tour bus that'll do the entire thing in a day - look up Sunrise Tours/JTB. Otherwise, lots of walking and waiting ahead.

some advices 2007/10/13 17:05
Both theTokyo Disneysea and Disneyland are within a vast coastal area and may wear you out unless you are still very fit after a long journey.
Also, if you visit Odaiba, it will take you at least half day to walk around, and Ueno is also a large cultural district with many museums and a busy market.
So these two destinations will do for the 9th day.
I don't know much about the redlight district in Ikebukuro but there is one of the largest redlight districts called KABUKICHO in Shinjuku. It's best not go there at night especially if you are a female visitor.
I recommend you to take a bus tour in Tokyo for a day and to Hakone and Mt.Fuji for another day if you don't know the country very well.
by mamoko rate this post as useful

Pushing it .... 2007/10/13 17:06
8th - Shinjuku you can blast through if you don't stare at all of the girls too long. Otherwise, IMO, skippable as time allows.

Harajuku - just a long street with lots of shops with girl stuff - clothes, etc. (gotta avoid looking at all those 'monkey-eye-makeup' girls that have super-dark tans). But this is right next to Meiji, so if you walk this huge shrine/park thing, it'll cost you a few hours (yep, a long walk - think an hour in, an hour out). Great when the kids dress up and you can take lots of crazy photos on the wekeends.

Shibuya can replace Shinjuku since it has all of the gals of Shinjuku, more shops and restaurants, and it's more 'fun' for a tourist, IMO. Take a coffee break at the Starbucks overlooking the train station across the street, then you can spend hours or a whole day there (they've got lots of bars, movies, shops, etc.). More mini-hills, so expect some work out here. Nighttime turns to bars and clubs, so you can definitely find lots to do at night here.

9th- you on a death march?
Ueno is a monster of a walk alone to see everything, esp. if you add the musueums or the weekend performances inside the park center. Easily 3-4 hours if you blast through, otherwise, musueums, etc. will add more.

Odaiba - shops, ocean view, but long walks.

Asakusa - long walk all the way to the temple, but with lots and lots of touristy things to buy and see since shops line it all the way up and down. Particularly busy on weekends since they'll have more food stalls, families, and stuff out as well. About an hour up and 30min down at a fast walk, but realistically, you can spend 3-4 hours just oogling everything before you reach the temple.

Roppongi - mostly, Roppongi Hills and the Tower - big shopping mall, so nothing too special or memorable for me. Skippable if time doesn't allow.

10th - realistically, enough time for some 10am+ shopping (most stores will open around 10am or so), and you'd better plan the luggage well because if you buy a lot, and have not luggage space, you'll hurt trying to carry bags and bags back to the NEX to get back to Narita.

Good since you know you'll be out of the hotel by 10am to go shopping, and if you're bringing your bags to the station to lock up in the lockers, time to checkout (otherwise, leave bags at the hotel for later pickup)

Basically enough time to buy some items at a local Bic Camera or other shops in the 2-3 hours you have, but you'd better be quick.

Realistically, it also means you'll need time to haul everything to the TOkyo station before you leave for Narita before 1:30pm.

Tip here? Buy the return NEX (or from Ueno, the respective ticket) ticket the day or two before so you don't have to worry about standing in line and buying this on the day of. Lines can get Long - best time to buy? Mornings after rush hour, afternoons, and nights after rush hour when the lines hvae died down at the ticket counter (at least in my experience at Tokyo Station for the NEX).

Do remember, you'll need up to 30 minutes to drag your bags down to the NEX, past the gates, to the correct platform, etc. once you reach TOkyo Station (or Ueno depending on wihch you leave from). Things can get busy,etc, so you need to make sure you get there on time -- for sure, the trains will leave on the dot with or without you!!

reply to this thread