Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

using hair straightners in Japan 2007/9/26 15:16
Hi everyone,

I am from Queensland, Australia and last time I went to Japan on a holiday I took my hair straightners along with me. I bought a converter plug in Australia so that I could plug them into the Japanese sockets. I tried to use them several times in several different places and they never ever worked the whole time I was there. I know there was nothing wrong with the converter plug as it worked for other things. Have any girls had this problem and can you offer any solutions?

I am going to Japan again early next year and would like them to work this time.

Thanks
by carmilla  

... 2007/9/26 16:36
What you need is a step up transformer. Australia uses 240v while Japan is 100v and the reason your other items probably worked is because they are universal voltage items (ipod charger, laptop, anything with a big plug or "brick" on the cord) and hair straighteners, hair dryers, curlers, usually are not.

A converter only changes the physical shape of the plug so that it will fit the socket while a transformer changes the electricity.

One option is to purchase a step up transformer like ones on this page:

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/light-duty-vol...
(scroll down to this model: VM 230S - STEP UP/DOWN CONVERTER)

Unfortunately I couldn't find an Australian vendor online, so its probably best if you shop locally.

One problem though is that hair straighteners are high power use items (150-200 watts from what I've seen) and you need to get a transformer that can handle 2-3 times that power. Typically these are pretty heavy (3-5lbs). You probably don't want to lug all that weight either.

I think your best options are to go to a local travel store and see what they recommend for a transformer for your situation or if they have a travel model that you can buy, or even leave your straightener at home and buy a new one when you get to Japan (you could always buy a step down transformer and use it when you get back to Australia).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

buy one over there!! 2007/9/27 06:45
Hi, I went to Japan last year and took my hair straightener ( from UK), it didn't work( as expected), therefore I decided to buy one over there, not expensive and you can buy a decent one in any department store.It will probably save you a lot of hassle ,trying to find a transformer.
by abba rate this post as useful

Thanks for your help 2007/9/27 09:31
Thanks for your responses. I had a feeling that it might be something to do with the voltage. I will have a hunt around and see if I can locate a transformer and if I have no luck with that then I guess I will have to pick up a cheap pair of straighteners when I get to Japan.

Thanks again!!
by Camilla rate this post as useful

oh no! 2007/9/28 01:55
does it mean my laptop (bought in the UK) won't work in Japan?
by london gilr rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/28 10:32
it should work fine as long as the cord has the "brick" on it. That is a built in transformer that is universal. I haven't seen a laptop yet that isn't universal voltage, but to be safe, check on the "brick" for writing that says something like "100-240v". If it has that then all you need is a plug converter.

28 watts 2007/11/10 15:16
I've brought my humidifier from overseas and it's stated 28 watts for power consumption. Can i use it in japan or do i need a transformer? Thks.
by help rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/12 17:24
watts is a measure of how much energy the thing needs to work. Its not so important to know unless it is really high, like a vacuum cleaner or some kind of motor. What is more important is what country are you referring to as "overseas"?

220V 2007/11/13 11:46
Hi. It came from singapore and i saw it's stated 220V, 50Hz. Can it be use in japan?
by help rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/13 13:44
Yes it will work but you need a step-down transformer.

Just buy one in Japan! 2008/5/3 12:41
H, I'm also from Australia and last time I lived in Japan I took my GHD straightener with me. I knew that I would have to purchase a step up/down converter but I was willing to do so since I didn't want to buy another straightener. I bought one from a denki-shop in Akihabara which ended up costing around 6000yen and weighed about 7kg!!! I plugged in my hair straightener and everything worked fine for about 30mins and then the converter fried!! So I know this time, although I will miss my GHD and know Japan doesn't sell them, I will buy a new straightener in Japan and save myself the trouble - I highly recommend anyone thinking about taking their electrical hair tools from Australia to Japan to think again!
by Poppy rate this post as useful

GHDs 2008/5/5 03:45
Well I don't know whether they were American or from the UK (because she studied in the UK before she went to live in Japan) but my American friend has ghd hair straighteners, not Japanese ones, and they work fine. All she uses is a plug converter, no kind of step-down converter or anything. I honestly don't know why this is, but they worked. I used them when I visited her!

Probably not very helpful, but I thought I'd mention it.
by Rachel rate this post as useful

Which Japanese brands are good! 2008/6/20 14:24
Hi Im in the same situation, I brought my straightners over from Australia and got what they said was the best adapter thingie, and they work but dont heat up enough. I want to buy some japanese ones dont mind paying 4 the best. Does anyone know of a good brand?
Sarah from Shin Urayasu
by sarah rate this post as useful

@ Rachel 2008/6/20 21:45
i expect they were from america. american appliances run on a voltage and currency more similar to that of japan, than uk appliances, and so are much more likely to function correctly.

as several have said, the reduced voltage will mean many appliances wont work. my phone charges just about works. it says it charges, and it says charge complete but the battery dies less than 24 hours later :P
by Shadow Jam rate this post as useful

Japanese brand hair straighner 2008/6/24 08:39
Hi Im in the same situation as Sarah and im looking to buy a japanese hair straightner. Anyone know of a good brand and where to buy?
by Ella rate this post as useful

GHD 2008/7/8 13:10
Hi Carmilla, I am also from QLD Australia and recently went to Japan, my GHD worked perfectly with the US/Japan Converter, however my cheap hairdryer didnt have much power to it, I bought a more expensive one and what do you know it worked!

Good Luck
by Deborah rate this post as useful

The answer to your hair prayers? 2008/11/19 18:05
I may have the answer, although I will have to let you know once I have tried.

Remington has brought out a mini straightener called the staightini, it retails at about $20 Australian. I bought mine at the shaver shop and I think I saw them in Big W too.

One of the main advertising points is that it can be used world wide. I will try when I go back to Japan and will post here to confirm.

It also straightens really well, heats to 200 degrees c and has the required ceramic plates. Great for short hair or bangs, maybe not for long hair though... you could spend your whole holiday straightening.
by R. rate this post as useful

usa 2008/11/19 19:10
this is a great thread as my hairdryer works in the USA with an adaptor but at half ratpower....REALLY SLOW...so what do I need??? I know I am ok in Japan cos all the places I stay provide everything I need...transformer?? Think I'll buy a US hairdryer in the US.....
by fmj rate this post as useful

eah I'd say so.... 2008/11/25 06:53
I'd buy a hairdryer once you arrive in the US. They can be quite bulky, even the travel ones, so you may find that you would rather have the space for other things. Besides, I'm sure you could pick up a cheap one for less than twenty dollars at Walmart or something, probably cheaper than wasting time and money trying to find adaptors : )
by R. rate this post as useful

reply to this thread