Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train transfer problem 2007/9/26 21:36
Hi,

I am going to travel to DisneySea from Yokohama.

From Yokohama I go to Tokyo Station. I will arrive at Platform 3. The train to Maihama leaves also from platform 3 in 10 minutes. But where will i get the ticket from for the second train? Do i have to "go out", buy a ticket and go back to Platform 3 again? Any help appreciated
by III  

. 2007/9/26 23:52
You purchase your ticket all the way to Maihama station from Yokohama Station. Thats why you don't have to leave out the station.

Note:
Don't pay attention to the track numbers.

What lines are you taking? Is the most important one.

Track 2 on the Keiyo Line is different from Track 2 on the Yokosuka line, so track numbers don't assist you as much as train lines.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/26 23:59
I assume you plan to take the Yoksuka Line into Tokyo Station then change to the Keiyo/Musashino line.

While the Yokusuka line arrives at track 3, it arrives at track 3 at the Yokosuka Line platforms, track 3 for the Keiyo Line platforms requires about a 15-20 minute walk to another part of Tokyo Station.

The fare is 690 yen, so when at Yokohama station you buy a JR ticket that costs 690 and that will cover you all the way out to Maihama Station. No extra ticket needed at Tokyo.

Oh oh.. 2007/9/27 03:26
Whoops, I'm in trouble then. I didn't realize it could take so much time to go from Platform "A" to "B". On my very first day in Japan I have to trasfer from Narita Express to Tokaido Shinkansen. Is 26 minutes enough? I will have some more transfers during my stay: Oct 6: 45 min. in Odawara (have to get ticket for Odakyu line too), 18 minutes the next day in Odawara for the Shinkansen. On my trip to Nikko I will have 19 min. in Tokyo and 12 min. in Utsunomiya.Oct. 11: 25 min. in Kamakura.And finally 19 min. in Tokyo for Disney Sea. Do you think I have to change some of my schedule? And if I buy a ticket in Yokohama to Maihama can it only be done at the ticket gate or the vending machines as well?

Thanks!
by Itadakiman (OP) rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/27 03:39
Whoops, I'm in trouble then. I didn't realize it could take so much time to go from Platform "A" to "B". On my very first day in Japan I have to trasfer from Narita Express to Tokaido Shinkansen. Is 26 minutes enough?

You can do it in 26 minutes. The reason the transfer from the Yokosuka line to the Keiyo line I mentioned above is because the Keiyo lines tracks are built furthest away from all the other platforms.

I will have some more transfers during my stay: Oct 6: 45 min. in Odawara (have to get ticket for Odakyu line too), 18 minutes the next day in Odawara for the Shinkansen. On my trip to Nikko I will have 19 min. in Tokyo and 12 min. in Utsunomiya.Oct. 11: 25 min. in Kamakura.And finally 19 min. in Tokyo for Disney Sea. Do you think I have to change some of my schedule?

45 minutes is way more then enough time at Odawara, 18 minutes is still enough time too.

All the other times you have planned are fine, maybe the 19 minutes to the Keiyo line at Tokyo Station. If you miss it, a next train appears 10-15 minutes after the one departs, so its nothing major.

And if I buy a ticket in Yokohama to Maihama can it only be done at the ticket gate or the vending machines as well?

Thanks!

You can buy it at the machine, just press the button that costs 690yen.

BTW reading this are you paying this all out of your pocket?

Because looking at your itinerary, Tokyo-Odawara for Hakone you're going by Shinkansen, then your return trip too. You can save money by just using Odakyu trains in/out of Shinjuku Station.

Then your trip up to Nikko again looks like you're using JR trains, eg Shinkansen then local line tranfser?
Cheaper and easier if you went with Tobu trains from Asakusa.

Thx 2007/9/27 04:16
Wow, thanks for the answers! These are only the transfers :), which make up a third of my travels. We will get a Japan Rail Pass and will try to make most of it. That is the reason for some of the odd train choices.
by Itadakiman rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/27 04:27
Ah ok, if you have a Japan Railpass then you do not need to worry about getting any ticket at all for the Yokohama-Maihama Station.

All you do is show your Japan Rail Pass.

not exactly 2007/9/27 23:45
sorry, minor correction. I will have a JR Pas for 7 days, however when I'm going to Maihama I will not have it. So final question: Can I/should I buy a ticket in Yokohama for Maihama at vending machine or ticket window? (sorry for being so dumb, but I still don't understand how the vending machine would know that i want to transfer)

. 2007/9/28 03:39
Yes, as I mentioned, you purchase a ticket that costs 690 yen and it covers the entire route, you don't need to get another ticket at Tokyo Station.

. 2007/9/28 04:46
The JR ticket vending machine looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=950916751&size=o

It has a touch screen.

Fare is based on how far you are traveling.
The cost from JR Yokohama Station to Maihama Station is 690 yen.

So when you get to the JR Ticket machine, you press on the screen [690] and then the machine asks you to pay the money, you pay 690yen then you get a ticket from the machine, use the ticket to go through the ticket gates at Yokohama Station, ride the train to Tokyo Station, make the transfer ( you don't have to do anything with the ticket at Tokyo Station), then when you get to Maihama Station you use the ticket to exit the station.

trust the machines 2007/9/28 08:03
The vending machines do know that you want to transfer, for the reasons that John explained, and I'm sure he has ridden JR trains thousands of times, as have I. It's all very high tech! Don't worry, just buy the ticket, get on the train, transfer and then get off at Disneyland. If you have a 690 yen ticket, the ticket gate at the other end will accept your ticket, let you through, and you will be there.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/28 08:49
Well the machine doesn't know if you are doing a transfer or not, unless your specifically purchasing a "TRANSFER TICKET" which is usualy when you want to go from a JR train to a Non JR train.

Yokohama-Maihama is possible with all JR trains so no transfer ticket is required.

JR fares are based on distanced traveled. So if you got a 690 yen ticket, you can stay on one line and travel wherever 690 will take you.

Technically he could ride the "long way" around and it will still cost the same, as long as he doesn't exit the service area/system.

For example, If I wanted to go from Tokyo Station one stop over to Yurakucho Station, logically I can take the Yamanote Line or Keihin Tohoku Line for the 2 minute ride. But there's nothing preventing me from taking the Chuo Line to Shinjuku then the Shonan Shinjuku line down to Yokohama then back up via Tokaido line to Shimbashi, then Yamanote line to Yurakucho, as long as I didn't leave or exit any stations the ticket is valid.

There's the great trip people do (well railfans) that takes all day, you travel one station over, but in the process you take the longest way possible, so your riding many trains and lines, going through different prefectures, making multiple transfers, so a 2 minute trip normally might take 18 hours to accomplish. Of course you have to be a dedicated railfan.

Any case I wouldn't worry about that too much lol. You're fine, just purchase the ticket and go.

aha 2007/9/29 03:05
ok, that's what i was confused about. I didn't know one had to choose fares and not stations at the vending machines.

reply to this thread