Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

flying sendai - kyushu 2007/9/27 09:53
I'm looking into flying from Sendai to Fukuoka on Jan 6. On Hyperdia it says that JAL fly this route. I wonder what sort of price I can expect to pay on this date knowing that it is just after a major holiday season and whether I would be able to get a good discount by booking well in advance?

Or would any discount air passes would suit my purposes? There are two of us but could we split the minumum two sectors of the Welcome to Japan special? I assume the tickets are for each passenger, but can't find anything to the contrary at this stage (or any idea on where to get more information).

Thanks,
Forde
by forde  

... 2007/9/27 10:31
JAL and ANA operate on the Sendai-Fukuoka route. Their rates are virtualy identical.

The regular one way fare is about 40,000 Yen, and discount offers are usually available for around 16,000 to 35,000 Yen, but during the New Year period, which lasts until January 6/7, many of the discounts will not be available, and I think you will be paying more than 30,000 Yen.

The air passes cannot be used either until January 7 or 8.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks 2007/9/27 10:38
Thanks again for the great response. 160,000 seems ok, 300,000 is far too much.

However, there's quite a bit of flexibility in our itinerary, so if we were to leave after the New Years period could we split the airpass or are they tied to a name?
by forde rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/27 10:59
160,000 seems ok, 300,000 is far too much.

Again, you are more likely to pay more like the regular fare on January 6. A few days later, you can fly for around 12,000 Yen with an air pass, so, if you are flexible, I think it is worth waiting a few days.

so if we were to leave after the New Years period could we split the airpass or are they tied to a name?

They are tied to a name! Why would you want to split one?

re: thanks 2007/9/27 11:02
Because they have a minimum requirement of 2 sectors and we only want to fly one together.

Thanks for the help, I think I'll get a 7 day JR Pass which would cost a similar amount and be better value even thought it would mean a full day's travelling. I'm from Australia...long distances don't bother me.

Unless you can think of a better way...

... 2007/9/27 11:10
Because they have a minimum requirement of 2 sectors and we only want to fly one together.

Both the Oneworld and Star Alliance air passes have a minimum of one sector. There are not many airlines not belonging to either airline alliance. JAL is Oneworld. ANA and Quantas are Star Alliance. Jetstar is member of the Quantas Group, so I suspect that you would also qualify for the Star Alliance pass. Or are you using yet another airline?

But using a Japan Rail Pass sounds good, too. A 7-day pass costs just about the same as a one way journey from Sendai to Fukuoka. It will be about an 8 hour train trip.

... 2007/9/27 11:12
More information about the air passes:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html

re: re: 2007/9/27 11:23
Yep, I'm flying Jetstar. For some reason, though, they don't count as oneworld. I've been puzzling about this for a while. I think the rail pass...you're right. Great help as always Uji.

reply to this thread