Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Im Going to Japan for a bit, am I short? 2007/9/27 11:43
Ok, I know im short for American standards (5'4ish) and im 14. 15 in 5 months. (im hoping I hit my growth spurt soon). Im going to Japan this summer with my Japanese friend and im wondering if Japanese people are really as short as Americans think. I know Asians are generally shorter and I read Japanese men are averagely 5'7 and woman 5'4 (or 5'3). So, post away.
Thanks!
by Austin69  

. 2007/9/27 12:28
I'm American and I'm 5'6 and I didn't stand out at all.

But I don't look "foreign". Being an American is more then skin color of course.

You'll probably stand out either case no matter how short or tall you are if you look different, so your height isn't anything big deal.
Honestly most people probably wouldn't care if you were tall or short.
by John rate this post as useful

Also 2007/9/27 12:44
Does tan/pale matter to Japanese Men/Woman?

I am a bit pale and want to know whether most of Japanese people think pale or tan is acceptable or 'better'.
by Austin69 rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/27 19:03
It depends on the person. These days a lot of women like to be as pale as possible but there are certain types of people who go to tanning salons.

We occasionally hear about incidents of racism against people of African or African American origin, but generally, degrees of skin colour won't affect most people's attitudes towards you a lot.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Also 2007/9/28 01:18
I am a Male so I want to know if Japanese woman typically like tanned, pale or in between for men to be. Just curious.

. 2007/9/28 04:48
Depends on the women.
by John rate this post as useful

Relax kid. 2007/9/28 10:17
If the girls like ya, then that's great, otherwise just have a fun trip anyway. You've got a Japanese friend to show you about, so you'll have a good time.

Try not to get hung up on body image stuff. You are whatever you are.
by emjoi rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/28 19:14
Also, your averages are for the whole population- bear in mind that Japanese guys your age are typically 20cm taller than their grandfathers. The average height for teenage Japanese boys is taller than the national average.

Don't worry about the shade of your skin- focus on the personality thing.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Also, Also, Also 2007/9/29 13:12
Im not worried about my looks, im just wondering what they prefer generally over there. I really hope im not considered short over there too, maybe I'll grow a few inches this year.
:D

Re: Im Going to Japan, am I too XXX? 2007/9/29 15:55
Don't worry about the shade of your skin- focus on the personality thing.
Thanks Sira, I was about to point that out myself.
The focus has been way too much on looks that it makes people who do not conform to the "standard" very insecure. I always think about that song by Joe Jackson: Pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street

I don't know what the intention of some of the questions is, but if you are going to Japan to find an SO (girlfriend, boyfriend), you probably have a better chance trying the penpal section part of the Japan Guide and then meet up with yuor penfriends later, IMO.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread