Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

please translate this 2007/9/27 15:44
how to say i love you and i miss you in japanese?
by izah  

RE: please translate this 2007/9/27 20:23
I'm pretty sure Aishiteru means "I love you" or Daisuke "I like you"

A little googling would have gave you the answer, "anata ga inakute samishii yo" means "I miss you".
by ToshiroKun rate this post as useful

I got this! 2007/9/27 22:41
Aitai. I am 99% sure this means I miss you.

I think if you say hayaku aitai, it's even more... although I don't know how the hayaku affects the aitai.
by Glenn rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/27 23:00
"Aitai" = I want to see (you).
"Hayaku aitai" = I want to see (you) soon.

...That's why "hayaku" adds the urgency :)
by AK rate this post as useful

,excuse me 2007/9/29 12:28
how do you say?
"Excuse me, is this seat taken?"

"May I seat here please?"

is this correct?

"???-kun wa ichigo daisuki desu ka?"

*i didn't put 'ga/o' bc i see Japanese written like "??? daisuki desu yo" with no particle, so i thought i could do the same.

thank u!
by RiA rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/29 13:17
"Excuse me, is this seat taken?"
In Japanese, it would be more common/natural to ask if this seat is vacant.
- Sumimasen, kono seki wa aite imasu ka? (Excuse me, is this seat available?)
"May I seat here please?"

- Koko ni suwatte mo ii desu ka?

is this correct?

"???-kun wa ichigo daisuki desu ka?" Does ??? love strawberries?

I would say "???-kun wa ichigo wa daisuki desu ka?" with "wa" inserted :) In questions, "wa" is often used instead of "ga."

, 2007/9/30 06:30
ohhh thank you, so you never ever use 'ga' in a question?

then, if i was trying to ask:

"Does somebody/anyone know when and where they will be filming the movie overseas? Will they film in New york?"

I know anyone is daremo and when is itsu (or I think it's 'itsu'). where is doko. eiga is movie. but since my use of particles is bad I don't know how to arrange it.

let me try,

daremo wa itsu to doko de kaigai ni eiga wa -the japanese word for filming- shitteimasu ka? Nyu Yooku ni -filming- ka?

I don't think that makes sense...I can only do simple sentences like "does xxx-san like strawberries?"

please help.
by RiA rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/30 19:43
To RiA,
Does somebody/anyone know [when and where overseas they will be filming the movie]? Will they film in New york?

- eiga wo satsuei suru/shimasu = to film a movie (For a simpler expression, you can also say "eiga wo toru/torimasu" for "to film a movie.")

[Eiga wo kaigai no doko de itsu satsuei suru ka] (wo) dareka shitte imasu ka? Nyuu Yooku de satsuei shimasu ka?

You might want to familiarize yourself with the construction of "... know [something - in a long phrase]." I put brackets around the object of "know" to show you how the sentence can be constructed :)

- Do you know [Bob]? [Bobu] wo shitte imasu ka?
- Do you know [Bob's address]? [Bobu no juusho] wo shitte imasu ka?
- Do you know [if Bob will come back]? [Bobu ga kaette kuru ka dou ka] (wo) shitte imasu ka?
- Do you know [when Bob will come back]? [Bobu ga itsu kaeru ka] (wo) shitte imasu ka?

With the last two sentences, "wo" can be (or often) omitted, so as in your original sentence.

Didn't can't & won't in questions.. 2007/10/2 11:44
Hello, I tried posting this question last night but it didn't go through. How do people use the following words in questions? Didn't, can't and won't. For example

''Why can't you mow the lawn more often?''

''Why didn't you tell me this before?''

''Why won't you go to the gym?''

Thanks!
by Jim rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/2 11:57
Assuming those are really questions (not suggestions); for this, you would need to know the "...nai," plain negative form (and its past "...ta" form) of the verb.

- nande, doushite, or naze = why
- The "(desu ka)" is added if in polite speech, drop it if it is in informal/casual speech.

'Why can't you mow the lawn more often?' = Nande/doushite/naze motto hinpan ni shiba wo karenai no (desu ka)?

shiba wo karu = to mow the lawn
shiba wo kareru = can mow the lawn
shiba wo karenai = cannot mow the lawn
hinpan ni = often

'Why didn't you tell me this before? = Nande/doushite/naze sakini oshiete kurenakatta no (desu ka)?

sakini = in advance, ahead
oshieru = to tell
oshiete kureru = to (kindly) tell (me)
oshiete kurenai = not to tell (me)
oshiete kurenakatta = did not tell (me)

'Why won't you go to the gym? = Nande/doushite/naze jimu ni ikanai no (desu ka)?

jimu ni iku = to go to the gym
jimu ni ikanai = not to go to the gym

Desu ka or no? 2007/10/2 13:15
Thank you AK.

I'm assuming that you can either use no or desu ka at the end? What is the difference between using no and desu ka?
by Jim rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/4 19:36
No, I meant to say that you can say either (for the last example):
- Naze jimu ni ikanai no desu ka? (polite speech)
or
- Naze jimu ni ikanai no? (casual/informal speech).

"...no?" is used as question particle in casual speech. In the polite speech, the sentence structure is something like "Why is it that you don't go to the gym?" and this "....no desu ka?" is the "...is it that...(?)" part.

reply to this thread