Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

if i am buying the pass from odawara 2007/9/27 22:52
hi i am rather confused by the term ''round trip''

I am getting the 7-day JR pass and i intend to visit Hakone on the 7th day (i am in kyoto/osaka for the first 6 days).

i would be getting the Hakone free pass only in Odawara, and i intend to stay one night in Hakone. In this case,
1)Will the pass cover my trip from Odawara back to Shinjuku?

2) If it doesn't, what is the cheapest way to go back from odawara to tokyo?

3) being first time in hakone, is it advisible to do the round course? or can we just spend some time at Lake Ashi? i am not too sure what Hakone offers.

4) Should i go Hakone on the 6th day..so that the JR pass covers the 6th day to Hakone as well as the 7th day hakone back to tokyo?

Thank you!!!
by Joyce  

. 2007/9/28 11:38
1)Will the pass cover my trip from Odawara back to Shinjuku?
A hakone free pass from Odawara covers only to/from Odawara station.

2) If it doesn't, what is the cheapest way to go back from odawara to tokyo?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html
By Odakyu Trains from Odawara to Shinjuku.

3) being first time in hakone, is it advisible to do the round course? or can we just spend some time at Lake Ashi? i am not too sure what Hakone offers.

See this page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html
I've done the roundtrip in one day, you are staying overnight so it appears you have more time.

4) Should i go Hakone on the 6th day..so that the JR pass covers the 6th day to Hakone as well as the 7th day hakone back to tokyo?

I don't know thats up to you, you'll lose a day in Osaka/Kyoto.

I'm now a bit confused with your itinerary. You have a 7 day railpass but the first 6 days are in Osaka/Kyoto? Are you flying into Kansai Airport and flying out of Narita Airport?
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/28 16:22
Thanks John

I am flying into narita airport..taking the JR to nagoya (which is my base as my friend stays dere). Will spend 7 days in osaka/nagoya/kyoto/nara.

then i am going back hakone to stay a nite and back to tokyo for the rest 4days..and flying out from narita.

Anyway, if i m takin the Odakyu railway..is the romance car from recommended? or shld i take the slower kyuko?

Am i right to say that by taking the romance car, i will only need to pay the surchage of 870 since it is discounted under the Hakone pass? if i take the Kyuko, will it also be covered under Hakone pass?
by Joyce rate this post as useful

Hakone 2007/9/28 16:43
Joyce,
7 day JR Rail Pass makes sense when you make the mentioned trips as sameday excursions from Nagoya. On 7th day you go Nagoya - Odawara "free" with last day JR Pass. At Odawara buy the Hakone Free Pass ( bought at Odawara station it is cheaper then in Shinjuku, as it does not include Shinjuku-Odawara-Shinjuku train ).
Make the loop, do not miss Owakudani, ( for a view over the lake anlone I would not go to Hakone area ), stay overnight as mentioned and the next day by Hakone Free Pass to Odawara a.) to board a commuter type train of Odayku line to Shinjuku
for Yen 850 or b.) Odakyu romance car for Yen 850 plus Yen 870 surcharge Yen 1720 or c.) a JR Tokaido line train for Yen 1450 bound for Tokyo or d.) by JR shinkansen bound for Tokyo at Yen 3130 ( d. not recommended as JR Pass finished and you had many shinkansen rides already )
by Peter rate this post as useful

reply to this thread