Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

American paying for things in Japan? 2007/9/29 05:39
My daughter is going to Japan on her honeymoon. How should she pay for meals, purchases, etc.? Should she use a credit card or debit card? Does she need Yen for anything? Can you she use American currency? Any help will be appreciated.
by Kathyzapp  

... 2007/9/29 08:57
I recommend credit cards for large purchases (over 10,000 Yen), if possible. And cash for the rest.

Does she need Yen for anything?

No, credit cards are widely accepted, too.

Can you she use American currency?

If paying in cash, only Yen is accepted.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/29 09:00
My daughter is going to Japan on her honeymoon. How should she pay for meals, purchases, etc.? Should she use a credit card or debit card? Does she need Yen for anything? Can you she use American currency? Any help will be appreciated.

She can pay with cash, or credit/debit. Its always good to have yen on one's person to pay in case a place didn't accept cash or credit.

Most hotels will accept credit/debit. But having cash in hand is always good to pay for the little things.

Only Japanese Currency is accepted.
by John rate this post as useful

USD 2007/9/29 09:04
It often surprises me how many Americans are not aware that most countries will only accepted their own currency for general cash payments, and not US dollars.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/29 09:09
Well I'm American too and I don't think that. But there are many other countries in the world, especialy 3rd world nations that accept USD over their own home currency. Now, of course Japan is not a 3rd world nation.
by John rate this post as useful

many 2007/9/29 09:14
Yes, I said "How many" there were, I didn't say all, or even most.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread