Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Information for moving to japan... 2007/9/29 17:40
Where can I find information on for moving to japan to live and work for atleast one year or longer?

I perfer to have a small room that cost around 20-30 usd per night.

I can live off of convience store food, and the occasional fast food meals.

I would like to get a job in automotive, but anything would work, until I could find a job in automotive.

My budget I would take, if nothing happens, would be atleast 10,000 usd.

When would the best time to leave for Japan, winter, fall, spring, summer?

I'm not to fond for colder weather, so northern japan is out, for the winter months.

What about being able to drive? I heard one of my friends talking about a international driver license. Whats the cost for having a vehicle to drive in Japan?

I probably missed something, but its the best I can do for now!

I've had it with America, so much pointless crap going on!!!

I also just want to get a new chance of life elsewhere! (most important thing)

Thanks in advance for the help.
by John  

. 2007/9/30 07:34
What is your education?
A working visa requires you to possess a bachelors degree. Then you'll need an employer willing to hire you in Japan, do you know Japanese at a high level?

Owning a car in Japan is expensive if you're living in any large city, public transportation is what people use.

I've had it with America, so much pointless crap going on!!!
You think Japan has no pointless stuff going on now too? The grass isn't greener on the otherside.
by John another rate this post as useful

Japan- or elsewhere? 2007/9/30 09:07
As John said, you've missed the most important thing- a visa. You must fit the criteria for one of the long term visas to be able to stay more than 90 days.

Unless you speak fluent Japanese and have some special skill that would make a company hire you over a Japanese national, it is really unlikely you will find a job in the automotive industry here.

If you have a Bachelor's degree it might be possible for you to teach English here- without the degree though you would not meet the visa requirements for that.

Other visas are student and cultural visas where you come to Japan to learn the language or a traditional skill these require you to show proof of funds to support yourself while you are here though.

Or you could marry a Japanese national, which means you can live and work in Japan freely although your job choices would be limited by language skills.

Have you been to Japan? If not how do you know it will be a big improvement on the US? Japan has all kinds of problems of its own and is not an easy country to migrate to.

Why not look at New Zealand or Australia, which are English-speaking and welcome skilled migrants from other English-speaking countries? A lot of your fellow Americans have moved to NZ or Australia in the last few years giving the same reasons for wanting to leave as you have.

If you are interested try searching "migrate to New Zealand/ Australia" on Google etc. and see how you go.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply 2007/9/30 13:33
Thanks for the information.

I don't have a bachlor degree, I do have a certificate of completion from a trade school for electronic technology!! :D

For the automotive, I should have been more descriptive. If I could get into body repair, swapping motors, I guess you could say, work at a small repair shop, while going to school to learn how to speak, read and write the japanese language. I would be even happy to get a job in a salvage yard, pulling parts and stuff! I have the automotive background, all the cars I have had, I've always done the work myself, swapping motors, body repair, braking system, suspension system. I've had 3 nissan 240sx in the last 4 years, I just buy them, work on them, swap motors and stuff, and then sell them!

I know very little japanese, just enough to be polite and get around. Hello (morning, afternoon and evening), Thank You, Yes, no, good bye/welcome back, etc. I know the most basic of the language.

I tought myself on the little japanese that I do know, and I know I'm off a little on the puncation.

I'm not to big about having to teach others, I can't even help my brothers, with their homework!

I rather not live in a large city, due to the higher cost to live, I would rather live on the outskirts of the city!

I'm not fond of New Zeland or Australia.

I know that japan has its own problems, but I should have been more desriptive on this as well, I just want to start a new life, get away from the people that I know here, most of the guys are idiots, and the girls are, well skanky (the best I can say)! However I would miss my family, as my family comes first.

by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/30 13:45
Minimum requirement for a work-visa would be possession of a bachelors degree. Associates Degrees, certificates, etc are generally not accepted by immigration.

I know that japan has its own problems, but I should have been more desriptive on this as well, I just want to start a new life, get away from the people that I know here, most of the guys are idiots, and the girls are, well skanky (the best I can say)! However I would miss my family, as my family comes first.

Try moving to another, town, county, city or state?

work in Japan 2007/9/30 18:03
There is no visa that would allow you to work at a body shop or salvage yard, other than a spouse visa or a student visa (limited to part time work and you must attend school a certain number of hours a day).

Your certificate will not help you get a visa here I'm afraid. I would like to be able to give you better news but those are the requirements set down by Japan Immigration. This is not a nation of immigrants like the States- they do not make it easy for people to move here.

Contact your nearest Japanese Embassy or consulate to confirm the information on visas we have given you- you don't have to take our word for it!

? 2007/9/30 19:30
"Or you could marry a Japanese national"

If he would go for this option, then how would he be able to find a girl that is willing to get married?
by lol rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/30 20:30
I know it's unlikely, I just want to lay out all the options! ;-)

. 2007/10/1 12:36
Thank you for the replies, everyone helped out.

I'll check for more information on the visa's and get more information from the site

Once again, I thank you all for the replies!!!

I would definitely love to marry a Japanese girl! :D

MOFA 2007/10/1 17:45
There is a "Carreer Fair" in Tokyo which is held yearly for people seeking Jobs in Japan. You should vist it once.

1.Basicly, Employers in Japan mostly seeks People with "Master Degree". Even people with "Bachelor's Degree" will find it very hard to get a good job in Japan.

2. You will have to prove yourself, that you are a lot worthy than a japanese. (note that Japan is the most advance country and there is no better way than to study in a Japanese Universtiy.

Gabarre !!!
by Kage rate this post as useful

reply to this thread