Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What are my chances with SOFA 2007/9/30 16:37
I have recently spent three months in Japan with my girlfriend, and we liked it so much we have decided to try and live/work in Japan for at least a year. While we were in Japan I began researching how to obtain a work Visa, and I even applied to some English teaching schools. Of course, as I was on a landing permit at the time, I was refused employment, or even the possibility of sponsorship for a work visa.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend was working in Japan on an internship with the Navy, and her co-workers suggested that since we would like to stay longer, and work in Japan we should apply for SOFA status, and try work on the navy base (Apparently my experience was very similar to their own, they came on landing permits, decided to stay etc...)

My question is this: As an American citizen, what are my chances of being approved of SOFA status so that I can obtain work on the Navy base as a civilian? I have recently graduated with a BA, and my background has no legal or financial blemishes. Also, if/when SOFA is approved, and I have secured employment on the base, do I need to apply for a special type of visa through the Japanese Immigration Bureau?

My apologies if this question seems really convoluted, I'm really just looking for anyone who has been there/done that. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. FYI we already found a great place off base in the Yokosuka area, with cheap rent (landlord is a friend of ours).
by Jerad  

. 2007/10/1 03:30
SOFA Status is handled entirely through the United States Government. You don't need to show up at any Japanese Immigration Offices.

Being a boyfriend rather then a spouse is a little harder to get SOFA status though. I read stories of girlfriends being rejected so they had to come to Japan under regular Japanese Immigration status.

by John rate this post as useful

SOFA status 2007/10/1 13:48
You can't get SOFA status without having a position (military or civilian, or immediate famiy member of military or civilian) in Japan. SOFA is the Status of Forces Agreement, and there is a SOFA for every nation in which the United States has military forces. The conditions and regulations vary.
Your best bet is to check US Government Service vacancy announcements for Japan. Once you are hired, THEN you get SOFA status, assuming you are qualified. SOFA status will be withdrawn if you quit or are fired, and can be withdrawn for things such as committing a serious crime...Got to www.godefense.com and search for 'japan', you'll get a list of current vacancies.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

SOFA is possible for any US civilian 2008/1/15 15:15
Hi all, it's me again. Well I applied for SOFA, and while it was a lengthy process I was approved, and have subsequently been hired for a local position.

I just wanted to debunk the belief that only dependents can get SOFA. This is NOT true. As long as you have a clean background, and lots of time, ANY US citizen can get SOFA. The hard part is getting a local job when one has to compete with the bogus DOD spousal/dependent priority system.

Hope this helps anyone who is in similar position.
by Jerad rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/15 15:38
You are talking about two different things.

1. Someone applying on their own and getting status on their own for SOFA. This has always been possible. Any US citizen can apply and work for the government if they have a clean background.

2. Someone applying to be a dependent of someone else on SOFA has a whole set of problems.

There wasn't anything to debunk.

Many posters on this forum have been girlfriends from other countries trying to get Sofa with their boyfriends.
by John rate this post as useful

bogus spouse/dependent priority 2008/1/15 15:55
Not that it's a matter for this forum, but the DoD Spouse/Dependent Priority in hiring is there for a good reason. Like any policy it is only as good as the people applying it, but military dependents put up with a lot and priority in hiring for DoD positions is an important concession.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/15 17:21
Are you receiving a housing allowance (LQA)? You're not authorized to receive it if you were hired locally, but I wanted to know if you found a loophole.
by Jon rate this post as useful

Can you contact me Jared? 2008/10/14 01:29
I had some questions for Jared and I'm wondering if you can contact me at leblanc1@hotmail.com.

I will be moving to Japan (military) in February and bringing my girlfriend (a veteran and will be looking for work once there) and was wondering how your hiring process went and any inputs you could provide.

Thank you.
by Steve rate this post as useful

reply to this thread