Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will someone spell a name in Japanese? 2007/10/1 07:43
We have a new friend, a student here from Japan, and I would like to show him the respect of sending an invitation with his name correctly spelled using Japanese text. His name (in Enlish spelling) is Daigo. Will someone send me the Japanese text spelling of his name? Much thanks for your help and consideration.
by Elizabeth  

... 2007/10/1 07:56
Elizabeth,
That's a nice thought :)
"Daigo" in romaji (romanized Japanese writing) would be だいご in hiragana (phonetic Japanese writing), but this name can be written in MANY different kanji combinations that without knowing *his* specific name, I would not be able to write it in kanji.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/1 07:57
Writing a Japanese person names depends on the individual kanji a family chooses, each with different meanings,

however a common spelling of Daigo would be:

醍醐
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/1 07:59
Even though that is a common spelling, it might not be his spelling, so if you wanted to play it safe but still show a nice gesture, try the Hiragana spelling.
by John rate this post as useful

When it comes to "candidates" 2007/10/1 08:44
When it comes to names, for the sound "daigo," I think 大吾 or 大悟 would be equally (if not more) common as 醍醐. See, this is the reason why you cannot "know" the right kanji for someone's name without asking that person :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread