Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wife's name change for US visa 2007/10/2 14:24
My wife has already changed her name to my last name here in Japan. For example Mika Smith. My wife is applying for a US visa and she would like to include her Japanese name to be legal in the US. For example: Mika Suzuki Smith. Is this possible? We have not translated our Japanese Marriage certificate yet so I wonder if our translation reads Mika Suzuki Smith that this will be fine for legal purposes in US. Any help is much appreciated!!
by Dru  

. 2007/10/2 21:43
If her official name is indeed Mika Suzuki Smith. If her legal name is just Mika Smith then you should not include anything that is not official. Of course she can always change it at a later date,
by John rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/3 02:57
I think if your wife is travelling on her Japanese passport bearing the name Mika Smith without "Suzuki", I don't think the US consulate would accept the addition of name by yourself in the visa application form base on the Japanese marriage certificate. Of course if she can get a new passport with the name Suzuki included, things would be much easier. Anyway, why not make a phone call to the consulate to get an accurate answer.
by TW rate this post as useful

reply to this thread