Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I study post-grad in Japan? 2007/10/4 02:05
Greetings,

In May 2005 I completed my B.A. with a minor in Japanese (3 years of Japanese language courses) and am now finally looking to get into Japan by any means necessary :] The best way seemed to be teaching English, but I've learned of the major problems the industry is currently having (NOVA's response to my application: they are not currently conducting interviews). My applications for GEOS and AEON are pending.

That said, I am also open to going back to school in Japan, if anyone will take me! I'd like to study for a graduate degree (perhaps a master's in literature or linguistics), though I'm having difficulty perusing the web for such opportunities - 3 years of Japanese has not made me fluent, though it started me on the road. I did find one university (I believe Hokkaido) which had an English section describing a program of initial rigorous Japanese instruction/immersion which would lead to enrollment in a post-grad program. However, they did not respond to my e-mails, and most websites I find for this opportunity are completely in Japanese or poorly translated.

Perhaps this is an obscure request, but any info and links would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
by Zobo  

Japanese Embassy 2007/10/4 11:27
To get yourself to Japan, first go to your nearest Japanese Embassy and ask for information.

Two possibilities are teaching English as a JET for the Monbukagakusho (Ministry of Education).

Another possibilty is to apply for a Monbukagakusho scholarship for graduate study in Japan. Should you receive this award, they will set you up in a six-month Japanese language program to improve your language skills.

The trick is that this scholarship is highly competitive and you are likely to have greater success with your application if you are already enrolled in a MA program in your home country.

Good luck,
Auberginefleur
Japan Now & Then
by Auberginefleur rate this post as useful

ps more advice 2007/10/4 11:31
ps. Your university really should be able to help you with this, even though you already graduated. Go back, make an appointment, and talk to your professors and ask for advice.

AF
by auberginefleur rate this post as useful

reply to this thread