Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel with 6-mth BB -- Toyko & Osaka 2007/10/4 05:19
My trip will be around Dec07. I need your help regarding the following thanks.

1. Stroller -- Is it ok if I use stroller on the street/train/subway? Or should I use a carrier instead? My Stroller is Peg perrego P3. Will this be too big. If I use a big stroller on the street/train/subway, will this be odd?

2. Crib -- Does Japan hotel have portable crib for BB?

3. Restaurant -- Do most of the restaurant have high chair provided for BB?

4. What is the best diaper brand in Japan? Do I easily get all the baby essential needs from convenient store? Thanks.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
by Mango  

... 2007/10/4 09:47
Let me answer some of them.

1. My Stroller is Peg perrego P3.

Like this? http://www.amazon.co.jp/Peg-Perego-41746-Perego-%E3%83%94%E3...

Then, it does not seem so big to me. But some stations do not have escalators/elevators. If you can carry it by yourself, there is no problem. I often see people using a stroller of this size.

2. Crib

3. Restaurant

It depends on hotels/restaurants. 4-star & 5-star hotels generally offer a crib but it would be better to inquire in advance.

4. What is the best diaper brand in Japan?

I'll leave it to other posters but basically I suggest you to bring necessary goods/food from your country. It would be a hassle to find a store selling your favoite brand.
by JLady rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/4 09:47
Hmm... something seems wrong with the system.
by JLady rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/4 09:52
I fixed if for you JLady, just a few missing tags.
by Admin rate this post as useful

Thanks J Lady ... more question 2007/10/4 11:48
Thanks J Lady. Have you ever seen people in Japan using the stroller during rush hour? Do I need to hold my baby in the train/subway rather than using stroller. Thanks.
by Mango rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/4 12:11
Avoid peak hour unless necessary. If you need to travel, I suggest folding up the pram, and bring a baby carrier that you fling over your shoulders like a bag.
by Paul rate this post as useful

rush hour 2007/10/4 15:53
i think you should avoid to use pram during rush hour.

many restaurants have high chair but i don't think 6-mth baby can use at least i haven't use it yet,i have 8-mth baby though.so i always use pram.

about diaper...GENKI is the newest one but it is the most expensive one...
i think japanese diapers are not so different unless your baby's skin is very sensitive. you can buy baby needs at supermarkets or cemists.
for baby food you should bring usual ones.
by moco rate this post as useful

Feeding & Diaper Change 2007/10/4 22:06
Is it ok to breastfeed and change diaper in public? Is it easy to find a breastfeeding room/diaper changing table in large malls or train station? Thanks
by Mango rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/5 00:52
Almost all full service hotels have cribs with no additional charge.

Department stores and malls have mother-baby rooms that are nice and clean. Don't expect the same at train stations. the bathrooms are often gross.

Huggies and Pumpers are available at any convenience stores.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

use a sling 2007/10/5 09:39
i plan to breastfeed on the go in tokyo. I think its possible if you are discreet and using nursing clothes.

Wearing the baby in a sling is even better - the tail acts like a shield so you can breastfeed in public without anyone being the wiser. I think slings also help you get around better than a stroller, esply during rush hour.
by dyad rate this post as useful

thinking of travel with 6mo baby too 2007/11/6 11:54
hi

just when hb and i were seriously planning our japan trip yesterday, this post with the same kind of questions i have came up :)

i'm using a quinny buzz but i don't think we'll be bringing it cos it's too bulky and takes up too much space. we'll probably use the sling and an upright baby carrier.

as for breastfeeding, i've been thinking how i can keep warm with thermal innerwear and yet wear nursing wear? mummies, would it be easier just to pull up our normal tops? (i'm thinking of the times when i have to bf in public places and not in the comfort of a warm heated room)

we're also contemplating joining day tours. anybody any idea if the schedule's too rushed if we bring a baby along (considering the baby may need frequent feedings and diaper changes)? or is it better we plan our own time and go our own way?

tia!
by bedebe rate this post as useful

back from japan 2007/12/14 00:40
hi

just got back from japan- tokyo kyoto osaka nara.

about strollers. i didn't notice any strollers on the trains i took.

we carried baby using a carrier most of the time and she was comfy in it. we were prepared to buy a stroller in japan if this doesn't work out but fortunately she loves being in it. in fact, carrying baby this way is a great way to bond.

2. about breastfeeding. most dept stores have a baby nursery with diaper changing facilities. some have individual curtained off private spaces, others have benches arranged along the walls of the room- so you sit around looking at each other bf :P

anyway, there were times when baby couldn't wait. so we'd pop into mcdonalds, find a quiet corner and then hb will hold up the jacket till baby latches on. i've also bf baby on the train to kyoto (the men seated opp were trying to catch a few winks and i covered up well)

3. about baby cot. depending on the hotels, the family friendly ones do provide. e.g. swissotel nankai where we stayed in osaka. however we chose not to use it (even tho they set up in the room already) cos we got used to baby sleeping between us.

4. about high chairs. i believe most family friendly outlets do provide. i was in a busy ramen shop and while they did not provide a high chair, they quickly provided baby bowl and utensils.

5. about getting baby's essentials. honestly, perhaps i've not been diligent in researching but i thought that it would be rather easy to find a supermart. and also that the baby depts at the dept stores will naturally stock up baby essentials e.g. diapers, wet wipes, lotions. but i couldn't find any supermarts. and the baby dept at dept stores were stocked with branded apparels with at best a small section (e.g. 1 small shelf) of baby basics. i brought along diapers and am thankful i did else i'd wasted time looking for it (we did not plan to go akachan honpo to shop but if you are planning to, i think you'll be able to find normal baby stuff there)

hth

diaper changing 2007/12/14 00:42
about diaper changing. most handicapped toilets are equipped with the baby changing station. and these toilets can be found everywhere- in train stations, dept stores etc.

reply to this thread