Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can someone help me with this meaning? 2007/10/5 09:41
I am having a debate with some friends over the meaning of a song lyric. The lyric is from Utada Hikaru's song "Hikari". It goes : Unmei no kamen wo tore.
One person said it means "Put on the mask of fate." Another said it means "Remove the mask of fate." I thought it meant "Take (as in acquire possession of) the mask of fate."
I thought it translated as "Take the mask of fate." because I thought the meaning of her words was equivalent to saying "Take your own fate into your own hands." Can someone tell me if this is correct or if one of my other friends' translations are correct?
by Dee  

... 2007/10/5 10:02
I've only read the lyrics a few times, so I cannot be 100% sure, but Japanese language grammar (and traditional usage) tells me it means "remove the mask of fate," in the sense of "do not be bound by what you think is your (predetermined) fate (but live for today)."
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/5 10:06
Just to add... "take" and "toru" are not really equivalent (the ENglish word "take" has such a broad range of different meanings to begin with!). "toru" in Japanese normally means to pick up, to fetch (to reach out and get something), to remove (clothing, hat, etc.), to earn (certain score in a test, for example), and *only lately* in the sense of "take" as well, but only in limited context. The context that comes to mind is the phrase "take risk". This ENglish phrase used to be properly translated as "risuku wo ou" (to bear risks), but now under the influence of the English language, it is often (in business world) translated as "risuku wo toru."
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

Thank you AK! 2007/10/6 20:54
That really clarifies things for me. You see my Japanese dictionary defines "toru" as "take". (Meaning to acquire or, as you put it, reach out and get something.) It didn't really specify its meaning as to removing clothing or apparel(it only said something about removing as in "robbing") so I wasn't sure if it meant that.
Your explanation of Hikki's lyric is similar to what I was thinking only your words convey my thoughts better. I believe your interpretation is correct by the context of her previous lines in the beginning verses.
Thanks once again, I really appreciate your help. I'll let my friends know about what you've explained.
by Dee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread