Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

13 d itinerary from nagoya end dec 2007/10/5 16:29
i visited japan for the first time this year (May 2007) and fell in love with it! we went to osaka, kyoto, takayama, hiroshima, himeji, miyajima, kobe, tokyo, and hakone. this time we are thinking of flying into and out of nagoya. can anyone suggest another itinerary covering some of the places we missed? we are planning to go dec 21, returning 4/1 and am aware of the attractions that may be shut which may need to be worked into the itinerary?
by japan2ndtime  

maybe 2007/10/6 06:54
Since you'll be in Nagoya, you might consider taking the train to Matsumoto, and from there the local train to Narai and the other Kiso towns. Take a Dramamine before taking the "Wide View Shinano" to Matsumoto.
Also, traveling to the backside of Japan, ie, Matsue and that area might be enjoyable. Sado Island has some great scenery. Of course you'll probably want to revisit some of the places you really liked before.
by Tay rate this post as useful

trip from Nagoya 2007/10/6 07:04
You could head south to Ise and see the shrines, Mikimoto Pearl Island, and coastal scenery.
You could head north to some of the smaller places you might have missed - Gujo-Hachiman, Shirakawa-go, Kanazawa (I haven't been to Kanazawa but it has one of the best gardens in Japan, that unfortunately will probably not be at its best that time of year.)
Go over to Matsumoto and the Kiso valley as suggested.
Head up to Nagano and visit the snow -monkeys in Jigokudani.
It kind of depends on your interests. Since you hit the highlights before, it seems like you could concentrate on a more relaxed trip in a smaller area.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

trip from Nagoya 2007/10/6 07:14
Oh, I haven't been to Sado Island in the winter but I hear the weather can be fierce. The worst cold & precipitation comes to the Sea of Japan side of Japan.
I have been to Shirakawago and Takayama in December and found quite a bit of snow. You'll find more temperate weather on the Pacific side of the country. Generally.

true 2007/10/6 23:15
Granted that those areas will be colder, but he/she will be there into late March and might be able to eke out some good weather in those areas. Kanazawa is also a good idea.
by Tay rate this post as useful

13 day itinerary 2007/10/7 08:28
Nah, the post title is 13 day itinerary...the date 4/1 is 4 January.
Unless '13d' can be read another way?
so it's a much shorter trip.

is weather sub zero and rainy? 2007/10/8 10:19
thanks everyone for your suggestions! it is 13 days and is from 21st Dec to 4th Jan. I think the idea to go to matsumoto is great and was thinking of doing it but i remember takayama was quite cold (even in may), and was wondering if it would be too cold to visit matsumoto and the cities around the sea of japan side? Does it snow and the the railways get shut down? I was thinking of getting the 14d jr railpass again as found it wonderful last time.
Also, is going down to the south islands like okinawa and kyushu ok during that time of the year? for e.g. would activities and onsens shut down over the break?
would appreciate some local knowledge please?
by japan2ndtime rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/8 10:50
and was wondering if it would be too cold to visit matsumoto and the cities around the sea of japan side?

If you bring proper clothes, it never gets too cold anywhere.

Here are average temperature ranges (nighttime low to daytime high) for early January:

Takayama: -5 to 3 degrees
Matsumoto: -5 to 5 degrees

Does it snow and the the railways get shut down?

Obviously, there is a chance of snow. The average snow height in Takayama in early January is 10-15cm. In Matsumoto it is only 2cm. Trains run as usual.

Also, is going down to the south islands like okinawa and kyushu ok during that time of the year?

The weather tends to be not very favorable in Okinawa during winter. While it is considerably warmer (15-25 degrees), it is often cloudy and rainy. Winter weather is best along the Pacific coast of Honshu with lots of sunny days.
by Uji rate this post as useful

how is this itinerary 2007/10/10 21:09
THank you Uji, Spendthrift and Tay for your suggestions. I have been doing more reading about the places suggested. They look beautiful but i'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to cold weather (i've never really been to the snow and think that i should save hokkaido and the north part central honshu for warmer weather so i can trek in the japan alps national park) - i'm plannng a 3rd trip already!
In the meantime, was wondering if people could comment on my backup plan:
21st Dec 2007 Friday arrive evening in Nagoya
Nag

22/12 Saturday: Nagoya
Nadya Park
Nagoya/Boston Museum of Fine Arts
The Bansho Ji – Temple :
TV Tower
Noh Theatre

23/12 Sunday: Nagoya
Noritake Garden
Osu Kannon, Central Park, Sakae, Tokyu Hands Nagoya Atsuta Aeon

Or: Day trip to Gifu/Yaotsu (hill of humanity)

24/12 Monday: Toyota Car Museum
Nagoya to Okayama in the evening.

25/12 Tuesday: Okayama
Korakuen Garden
Kurashiki

26/12 Wednesday: Okayama – Beppu in the morning
Onsens
Takasakiyama

27/12 Thursday: Beppu
"hells" (jigoku)

28/12 Friday: Beppu to Kumamoto in the morning.
Suizenji-Jojuen

29/12 Saturday: Kumamoto
Side trip to Mount Aso: The Nakadake Crater

Is Minamata Eco Park recommended and practical to cover in the same day?

30/12 Sunday: Kumamoto – Nagasaki
Leave in a.m.
Visit Meganebashi,Chinatown Shinchi, Mount Inasa

31/12 Monday: Nagasaki
Visit Dejima, Glover Garden,
Oura Church, Dutch Slope

1/1 Tuesday:
Nagasaki Peace Park
Nagasaki A Bomb museum
Leave for Fukuoka late afternoon.
Visit Fukuoka canal city at night.

2/1 Wednesday: Fukuoka
Dazaifu as sidetrip

3/1 Thursday: Fukuoka
Early a.m. visit Hakozaku-gu where young men chase wooden ball.
Thursday lunch - leave for Kyoto

4/1 Friday : Kyoto - Nagoya station in late afternoon on shinkansen, then to meitetsu railways to nagoya airport.

Thank you beforehand for advice!

... 2007/10/11 08:32
29/12 Saturday: Kumamoto
Side trip to Mount Aso: The Nakadake Crater

Mount Aso is located between Beppu and Kumamoto. You should visit on your way between the two cities.

Is Minamata Eco Park recommended and practical to cover in the same day?

No. Also, there is not much to see in the Eco Park for individual travelers.
by Uji rate this post as useful

travel 2007/10/17 20:57
thanks Uji. Your site has been invaluable to my planning.
i have a few other questions which i was hoping for assistance with:
1. Is it possible to prebook tickets on shinkansens now before we arrive in Japan? I'm worried that by the time we are in japan on the 21st, the seats will all be sold.
2. Is my itinerary too ambitious - should i skip a few cities and spend more time in some and which ones should I skip if so, and which ones should i loiter in?
is a day trip to Gifu and Yaotsu (hill of humanity) from nagoya practical and worthwhile?
3. given that i will be in japan during the christmas/new year break, which city in my itinerary should i plan to be in at christmas and at new year?
thank you once again for any advice offered.

+++++ 2007/10/18 13:49
I don't think you can pre book the Shinkansen ticket from where you are before you go to Japan. You can purchase a ticket when you get
there for specific date or have your hotel concierge get it for you.
Not to be missed---Japan puts out and display beautiful christmas lights (example; view Nagoya Eki, and other major spots would have lights all over Japan)
Dec climate may not be so cold yet, it's come late Jan and Feb gets pretty cold to me there but could be different every time.
I would concentrate on northern Kyoto areas (if you can get there) facing Japan sea and don't worry too much about being cold, find lodgings at the hot spring resorts, you can do that just about all around Japan. For us, a Winter time is for onsen but that may not interest you.
by cc rate this post as useful

suggestions. 2007/10/18 20:50
you may find that you have to break from your planned itinerary. i think you have planned too much time in Nagasaki & Fukuoka.

Are you planning to go to Kagoshima and Ibusuki (try the sunamoshi=black sand sauna)? It is worth the visit. Plus, you get to side the Tsubame Train. It is new and soooooooooooooo fast.

I stayed in Gastof Hotel in Kagoshima. Real cool hotel with Character. 5 mins. walk from JR Station. Staff and Hotel Manager are great! Say Hi to the surfer-Californian Hotel Manager Dude---he's so coo.
by royalty rate this post as useful

how many days in kagoshima? 2007/10/23 09:16
Thanks cc and royalty for your responses. I haven't tried onsens and would like to - can you recommend some (have you been to any in beppu? I've heard that they are very good there). If not, what about the ones in kyoto?
also, how many days would you recommend in kagoshima?
thanks again,
japan2ndtime

Kagoshima and beyond 2007/10/23 11:06
spend 3 days at least in kagoshima. spend one day in kagoshima visiting sakurajima island--10 min by ferry. It is so hot there. You can visit the furasato onsen (1000 yr old camphor tree and you have to wear a yukata to dip in the pool) or just have a look. free bus from the ferry to go to the onsen.

From Kagoshima, you can take the JR 30 mins. Ibusuki to visit the black sand japanese sauna bath = "sunamoshi". They bury you in black sand and steam your ailments away.
There is a lonely planet video you can access if you want more info.

Then, you can go to Miyazaki and Aoshima. The sight of the Pacific Ocean waves is breathtaking. Make sure you take lots of pictures of the view. You will feel like you are in Tahiti or South Pacific. Wear your shorts and t-shirt. Beach weather!

Eat lots of satsuma oranges too! Seafood is great.
by cheers rate this post as useful

should i skip okayama and kurashiki 2007/10/25 15:50
thanks cheers for your advice.
given the limited timeframe, should i skip okayama and kurashiki then in preference of kagoshima? ? i'm worrried kurashiki places will be closed on christmas day.

"spend 3 days at least in kagoshima." 2007/10/25 16:52
"spend 3 days at least in kagoshima."
Hi Cheers,
I am heading that direction in November,and would like to visit those places you recommended.
Could you please advise me if it would be best for me to base the three nights accommodation in Kagoshima,just make a day trip to those places ? or any suggestion.
Many thanks .
by liem rate this post as useful

reply to this thread