Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese desserts & snacks? 2007/10/9 02:34
What are the most famous Japanese desserts and snacks? I mean, what do the Japanese like the most out of all Japanese desserts that can be made at home? I want to make a feast (you could say) for many people so I'm making Western food and Japanese style food to cater to all tastes. Please help.
by RiA  

... 2007/10/9 09:47
RiA, do you live in Japan or not? When it comes to Japanese desserts, ones with Kanten (algae), Azuki (red beans), Maccha (green tea powder) or Shiratama-ko powder are easy to cook for home party. They are available at local supermarkets in Japan but I wonder if you can find them in your country.
by JLady rate this post as useful

I don't, but 2007/10/9 10:32
I don't live in Japan, but they are all available at this famous grocery here. It's more for Korean food, but Chinese, Indian and Japanese ingredients are very easy to find. So thank you very much!
by RiA rate this post as useful

Mitsumame 2007/10/9 10:48
I see. Then how about Mitsumame? You have only to prepare Kanten jelly and cut it into small cubes, add canned fruits and sylop. You can top it with sweet red beans (Azuki/Anko) and/or vallila ice cream. Sweet red beans can be found in a can at Japanese groceries.

Though this photo is not clear, you can get a feel of it.
http://welcome-wisteria.at.webry.info/200603/article_11.html

Correction 2007/10/9 10:52
syrup, I mean.

And if you can find Shiratama-ko powder, you can cook Dango (small rice balls). This can be a nice dessert only by adding sweet red beans.
http://japanesefood.about.com/od/japanesedessertsweet/r/azuk...

Dango 2007/10/10 20:53
Thank you! Dango is such a good idea, it's actually so perfect I'm mad at myself for not thinking of that. Making dango really fits into the theme.
So I should make some Anko Dango??
Oh, would it be OK to make desserts that are normally for a certain holiday or occasion...even though it's not the holiday?
by RiA rate this post as useful

reply to this thread