Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese marrying a divorced westerner 2007/10/10 21:38
Hi There. What is the general attitude taken on a Japanese girl (never married) marrying a man that has been married and is now divorced? Esp. towards a western like myself.
by Ben  

not a big deal 2007/10/11 00:43
Hi Ben, nowadays even among Japanese, "diorce" is not a really big deal anymore. I don't think this would be a big issue but it might be if she is from somewhere very country side... What is your situation?
by Meg rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/11 18:57
I know of two couples of that "combination"... myself included... and not neccesarily only big city people involved... so? No big deal! :)
by Anonymous this time rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/12 10:51
I think the general attitude will be, "Won't that happen again?"

Personally, I think that international marriage is no different from domestic marriage except for one thing - when you get divorced and there already is a child between the couple, things can get a bit complicated due to the fact that they have different laws.

But I've seen a lot of Japanese people who are happily married with a once divorced westerner, and I have nothing against that. I'm just trying to answer your question.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Divorce 2007/10/13 04:17
Was not an issue for my Japanese in-laws.
by hr rate this post as useful

Not a problem 2007/10/16 19:07
I'm divorced and planning to marry a Japanese woman, also divorced. The procedure seems simple enough but I am required to obtain a "Certificate of no impediment" from the registrar of bdm in my country.
by Colonial rate this post as useful

reply to this thread