Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Drinking parties 2007/10/10 23:25
I read this somewhere on this site:

Drinking plays an important role in Japanese society. Drinking parties, typically held at restaurants and izakaya, are a common activity that are used to strengthen both social and business ties.

Now here's the thing. I don't drink alcohol at all, for many different reasons. In my home country, it's not a problem. If I don't want to "go out drinking" with people, I just don't. But it seems it's a much bigger thing in Japan. Basically, will I not fit in if I don't go out drinking with people? Won't I fit in or get along with people I work with if I don't go to these drinking parties?
by Lee  

... 2007/10/10 23:40
Don't worry if you don't drink alcohol. It is perfectly acceptable to go out to a drinking party and drink non-alcoholic drinks. If people ask why you can give them whatever reason you like, but you may find it easier to tell people that you are allergic. That avoids uncomfortable follow up questions.

It is more damaging if you always turn down the invitation to go to the party in the first place. That could be seen as not fitting in with the group, while going and not drinking at least shows an effort to try and bond with the group.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Try to go out and have some fun 2007/10/11 08:46
I have to agree. I've only been out a few times with the people I work with, but it was pretty clear that they treated it as a group type of event. I don't know where you work, but where I am, people do not interact much during the day, so these events were a chance for the entire group to socialize.

As far as the drinking goes, we all drank a bit more than average, and I don't know if my colleagues are representative of most of the Japanese people, but they all got pretty rowdy, standing on the tables and making speeches, and just being loud in general, which is *nothing* like they are during the day.

Also, you have to think about it as: you have to see these people every day, you're probably going to ask them for favors or need them to do something for you for your work. It would be a good idea to go out and try to get along.

As far as the drinking goes, I don't think anyone would pry if you said you didn't drink. It's about socializing and having a good time.
by Bob rate this post as useful

You are not alone 2007/10/11 12:23
Actually there are a lot of Japanese workers who prefer to think the same way as you do. They are mainly females and younger males.

Unfortunately however, older males and those who love to party prefer to have drinking parties and believe that they work as a good opportunity to make the working environment better.

Now, this is the trick. Try to attend at least once in a while. When you do so, try to sit close to those who have the same preference as you do (those who hate drinking parties). If someone encourages you to sit elsewhere, try to make an excuse by saying you want to sit with those who don't drink/smoke. The first party will last for only a couple of hours. Try to run home right after that, but greet the others, simple and proper, as you do so. The "drinkers" will go on forever after that, but you can totally ignore them.
by Uco, a drinker who hate drinking parties rate this post as useful

reply to this thread