Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Small translation help :) 2007/10/12 06:47
I've recently started learning Japanese, only four weekly two hour lessons so far. We recieved a Hiragana table with all the symbols on and were asked to write simple words for homework. I've successfully translated about ten, but one is confusing me.

'Kombanwa' : firstly I had to work out that it was spelled in Hiragana with an 'n' not an 'm'. Now I can't work out the last symbol to use :/ I saw an example of the word in Hiragana and the last symbol doesn't match the 'wa' symbol. It's kind of like a lower-case (alphabet) 'l' with a (hiragana) 'o' without the little flick to the right.

I hope I don't sound too confusing :|

Any help gratefully recieved :)
by Brian  

wa/ha 2007/10/12 09:52
Brian,

The "wa" in "konbanwa" is actually the particle "ha" - although it is pronounced "wa". Don't worry, this confuses everyone when they start out.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thankyou! 2007/10/12 15:34
Domo Argiato Gozaimasu!
by Brian rate this post as useful

Also... 2007/10/13 03:54
I ordered a magazine online, I tried to get a magazine for the youngest audience to help with my reading. Although my reading is non-existant at the moment will it even help? It's aimed at 7 year olds. This is where I got it from -

http://www.japancentre.com/?cmd=itm&cid=60&id=356

If this is too hard, can anyone recommend a little kids book, like "A for Apple" or "I went to the shop" kind of book? Prefreably online and in GBP.

books 2007/10/13 09:07
If there are any Japanese bookstores near where you live, that is a book source for children's books.....
by Mara rate this post as useful

Hiragana text 2007/10/13 09:09
Brian,

Beginnners often make the mistake of assuming that books for young children written entirely in hiragana will be easy to read, but actually this is not the case. Children's books often use children's words which are not relevant to an adult's vocab and may not even be in dictionaries. Also, while beginners naturally shy away from kanji at first, text written entirely in hiragana can actually be really difficult to read, since there are no clues or pointers as to where to break sentences.
I would recommend looking for material aimed at beginner Japanese learners rather than native children.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

:| 2007/10/13 16:30
Sorry about dragging this on, but is there any books you would recommend? I've found one that looks ok on WHSmith.co.uk, called "Reading Japanese" I'll paste the synopsis -

This new text has been designed to met the special needs of the foreigner who wants to begin learning to read Japanese before having completed a first-year course in speaking the language. It presupposes no previous knowledge of the Japanese writing system. In twenty-five lessons it introduces katakana, hiragana, and 425 kanji, providing an excellent foundation for the use of available intermediate and advanced texts. Reading Japanese is designed to be used either as a classroom text or in self-study programs. It is coordinated with Beginning Japanese, by the same authors.

Does it sound ok? It's expensive but if it helps I wouldn't think twice about the price.

Itty Bitty Snake 2007/10/15 07:37
A friend of mine who now tutors Nihonjin in america requested this book for her birthday when she was still learning:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Bitty-Chisana-English-Japanese/...
Hope that helps
by Tracy rate this post as useful

About books.. 2007/10/15 07:56
Seeing that you got the book from Japan Centre.. I'll assume that you live near London? [sorry if my assumption is wrong ^^;;]
But if you do, have you heard of the Japan Department Store thats just around the corner from it?
If not, feel free to message back for details ^^;;
by Wendii rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/15 08:23
I am not familiar with/have never used this book myself, so I cannot comment about the substance, but you are referring to Jorden & Chaplin's book, correct? Please check out purchasers' comments from online bookshops such as Amazon.com. Opinions seem to be divided (most love it, but a few say not).

It seems to give structured explanation about the writing system, so in that sense it is better than tackling children's books (I agree with Dave in Saitama in that sense), but it seems to be a "classic" textbook, and might be somewhat old-fashioned (from what I can tell from the reviews and the brief glimps I could get from Amazon.com).
by AK (Japanese - former teacher) rate this post as useful

Humm... 2007/10/15 09:24
The thing I'm really looking for is what you might get in primary school. For example worksheets to fill in / books with reading and writing exercises. Every book shop I've been in over the weekend only have books to learn the language - nothing about reading or writing :|

So I'm kind of stuck :( I really want to start reading Japanese as soon as possible.

:| 2007/10/15 09:39
Sorry! I didn't see the other replies X(

Firstly, Tracy, thanks for the suggestion and I've just ordered the Bitty Snake book from Amazon :D

Secondly, Wendii, I don't actually live near London, about a two/three hour drive from it. I will be visiting around the christmas period, so those details would be recieved greatfully :)

Thanks! :D

... 2007/10/15 09:46
I think "Reading Japanese" is more of explanation, and strangely it seems to get you started on katakana first.

As a starter, I might recommend getting "Japanese for Busy People (I)" - kana version - with the workbook as well. The hitch is that the dialogues taught tend to be for business people. But If you get to London any time, please have a look at some books "in person," though. By the way, what textbook(s) are you using right now?
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/15 10:09
We're not actually using textbooks at present, but I believe my teacher is using a BBC language book.

. 2007/10/31 09:01
Sorry for a late reply ^^;;
The adress for the other store is;
JP-Books
Dorland House
14-20 Regent Street
London
SW1Y 4PH

Hope this helps!
If your looking for the actual bookshop, you will need to walk straight through to the back of the shop and go down the stairs.

If you need anymore help, feel free to ask ^^;
by Wendii rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/10/31 21:31
For the reply, better late then never, haha :) Is there a website for the whole department store? Just thought I'd compare prices with japancentre.com :D

reply to this thread