Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Walk-ins accepted for Ryokan 2007/10/15 07:52
My schedule doesn't allow me to know where I will be on what day and advance registration doesn't appear practical for me.

I will be traveling solo, with no real budget for lodging, and simply asking around of vacancy.

Would I realistically be able to do a walk in for Ryokan,Minshuku &Shukubo(s)
Is it inappropriate to do so, if all I can provide is perhaps a early morning warning?

I am regarding such areas as Kyoto, Takayama, Miyajima, and Koyasan. Around mid November.

Any advice would be helpful
Thankyou

by Jeremy  

... 2007/10/15 09:10
Early warning would be okay. But just showing up at the reception would be highly unusual. If you read Japanese, you might be interested in the following last-minute booking website:
http://www.tavita.jp/
by Uji rate this post as useful

walk-in for ryokan 2007/10/15 09:36
I have done this before, though not often (shown up in a city with no reservation). I have had very good luck with the tourist information offices at places like Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Lake Akan, Furukawa Onsen. It's one-stop shopping, and it gives the ryokan a head's up for your arrival, even if your arrival is NOW. You might consider contacting these offices (were available) when you arrive in town - they can help you based on what you want to spend, and usually have some brochures so you can kind of see what you're getting. The English language ability has varied a bit at these offices.

I have walked into a ryokan maybe twice, and found that it can be frustrating from the perspective of going from place to place to find a room. I have been successful, though, although once I was there too late for my dinner to be arranged (though I was charged the full price). That time, the ryokan owner drew me a map to a nearby restaurant where we were somehow drawn into a group of elderly gentlemen celebrating the end of the year with multiple bottles of whiskey so I have to say it worked out alright.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/15 09:39
Please note that ryokans normally serve dinner (often in-room), they want to know in advance how many guests will be there... in-room dinner normally start as early as 17:30, maybe 19:00 at latest, so showing up in the evening would be ... not quite good. You can book earlier on the same day, that would be fine. But particularly for Kyoto and Takayama, I think you might want to fix certain dates and book in advance.
by ... rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/10/15 10:04
Thanks for the tips.
My Japanese is rather poor, so the website you mention Uji is beyond my skill to use faithfully.

I should in every occasion arrive before noon to each city, so hopefully, that will leave enough warning and allow me to take advantage of the dinner.

I'll be sure to head towards a tourist information place for help, if one is present.
by Jeremy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread