Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Okinawa and Zamami island 2007/10/15 08:23
Hey everyone,

I'm planning to visit Zamami island near the main Okinawa island around May 2009. Just wondering, what is the best mode of transportation on Zamami?

As well, I'm also interested in knowing what kind of sightseeing there is. I know that its an excellent place for diving and snorkeling. If so, do I need to be in an organized tour to do some snorkeling, or are there specific places where I could do that at my own leisure?

Zamami island can be done in one day right? Thanks for your help!

For Okinawa, it seems like a car rental would be the best mode of transport, as I've heard that the buses don't run that often and are usually late.

by wsim  

Zamami Shima 2007/10/16 03:26
Try this website and click on the sample itinerary at the bottom of the page (pdf).

http://www.opencoastravel.com/index.php?option=com_content&t...

Basically, beachcombing, swimming, diving, snorkeling, kayaking are you options.

I've been to Tokashiki and really enjoyed the island. The Kerama's are not commerciallized. In January, we could not rent a car or motorbike, however the taxi/bus service is good and relatively inexpensive.
by Paul rate this post as useful

Great place 2008/2/5 16:27
We went this Jan. 2008 and loved it. We rented a scooter and traveled to all the observatories. It started out raining but ended up being a beautiful picture perfect day. I am going back this summer with the family to try the beaches and snorkeling. We took a ferry from Tomari Warf in Naha City. It took maybe an hour. Boat was nice clean and quiet at 9:30am. We rented our scooters for 6 hours because the last ferry left at 4:10pm. It cost us around 35 dollars listed at Y35 yen for 6 hours. If you can ride a bike really good and up many hills you could also use a bike. I have a map of the local roads if you would like a scanned copy. I could email it to you. A great place, and well worth the trip if you love the ocean and scenery. I also have many photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennfitz2/sets/7215760385532476.... Hope it was helpful.
by Jenn rate this post as useful

Tokashiki 2008/2/6 00:44
Jenn, nice photo album. It would have been nice if we could have rented some scooters on Tokashiki. Unfortunately, some have abused the privilege and the scooters weren't for rent when we were there.

We are going back this October and plan to visit Tokashiki, Zamami or both. This time I plan to do some snorkeling or diving.

I would recommend that if you are snorkeling that you do it with a buddy, as there are some pretty nasty small creatures that inhabit the sea. One in particular I would avoid is the Blue Ring Octopus.

We also have photos of Tokashiki at http://picasaweb.google.com/Hildebrandt.Paul/20070103Tokashi...
by Paul rate this post as useful

reply to this thread