Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pcs to Japan 2007/10/16 06:36
We have just been given our orders to Japan and I am looking for some direction/lists/guidance to what all needs to be done from coming from the US to Japan. I am clueless and would love some help if you all wouldn't mind. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thank You.
Nicole Nolan
by NICHOLE NOLAN  

. 2007/10/16 09:31
Maybe you can be more elaborate in your questioning?

"what needs to be done?"

Nothing really, you can pack your bags and move right away, since you are on government/military orders I think you're under SOFA status and you don't need to worry anything about Japanese Visas etc.
by John rate this post as useful

what needs to be done. 2007/10/16 09:35
Things I would like to know are about shots, what paperwork needs to be filled out and submitted, what can or can't be taken to japan. What things are useless to take to Japan. Should you really take your own vehicle? I would like to know as much as I can find out because I am going into this blind sighted and well my husband is currently in Iraq and can't get much accomplished for us from there.

Thanks again
by Nichole rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/16 09:49
Things I would like to know are about shots, what paperwork needs to be filled out and submitted, what can or can't be taken to japan. What things are useless to take to Japan. Should you really take your own vehicle? I would like to know as much as I can find out because I am going into this blind sighted and well my husband is currently in Iraq and can't get much accomplished for us from there.

There are many people who are in the military or spouses int he military that post in these forums that are more useful then me.

However, namely speaking, if you are on official orders (or rather your husband is), paperwork etc is handled on the USA side, it won't be anything with Japanese Immigration or Visas.

Where will you be based at?

Japan has a fantastic public transportation system, owning a car (especially on where you are living or based) can be very expensive.

Generally speaking, if you have all your shots in the USA then you don't really need anything in Japan, maybe for the measles if you haven't had them yet. I know members of the military have go get a bazillion shots right when they start boot camp.

Most electronics equipment/computers, cameras etc from the USA would work in Japan, should work definately if you are on base.

Most things that you think you might miss you can usually scrounge around find in Japan, probably easier if you are in the military as well as theres a closer network.
by John rate this post as useful

pcs to japan 2007/10/26 02:12
my husband is also in iraq and has told be that we might be getting orders to japan also. do you meen okinawa, and also what branch of military. i have been doing research myself and might be able to help.
by courtney rate this post as useful

Japan 2007/10/26 05:55
Courtney,
My husband is in the Marine Corp and we are being send to Okinawa. Email me and we can combine our info.
Nolanz3@yahoo.com
by Nichole Nolan rate this post as useful

PCS to Japan 2007/10/26 17:46
I think that every military installation in the world has a website - anytime you get orders, do a google search and see what you come up with. www.okinawa.usmc.mil in this case will get you started. also www.militaryonesource.com has general info on planning a move, as well as links to individual installation info.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

No Vehicles 2007/10/26 19:15
I'm in the AF at Yokota. We aren't allowed to ship our vehicles because of Japanese driving on the left side of the road. I haven't been to Okinawa but every other base in Japan I've been to has a Lemon lot where people coming in can buy the used cars from the people PCS'ing out. Prices range from free to $3000. I don't know what public transportation is like in Okinawa but I can almost promise you that you'll want to have a car for on base travel if nothing else. Gas prices on base are the same as in the States.

I don't remember having to get any shots specific for Japan. I'd ask that at your current base's immunizations clinic. If not it's not something to really worry about. In the worst case scenario the hospital in Okinawa will take care of you.

Plugging in electronics is, for the most part, the same. Bases run off the same electricity as off base so it's a little different but not dangerous.

Other than that, the best thing you can do is get a sponsor from your gaining unit. Not sure who you should contact for that. If you have your husbands orders that should have some contact info, if not, then I'd start with those websites!

Hope that helps.
by Brent rate this post as useful

reply to this thread