Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gifts for visit to relatives in Japan? 2007/10/18 03:26
I will be travelling to Japan soon, and some of it will be spent visiting with relatives I don't really know (mother's side). I've only met them once or twice in my lifetime.

I know it's traditional to bring gifts, but when I asked my mother for ideas, she came up empty, even though these are her brother and sister. She's taking beef jerky and coffee. I find those items amusing, but I guess they're both ridiculously expensive over there, and that's what her brother and sister asked for.

Someone suggested See's Candy, but that seems...cheesy to me. And for all I know, See's candy is either common over there or not well-liked.

Anyone have any fantastic suggestions? Perhaps something you can't get in Japan? Yes, I realize that these kinds of gifts can vary person to person, but we haven't come up with anything that sounds good.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
by Paul H  

Some Suggestions 2007/10/19 01:44
I'd be careful about beef jerky, unless you've checked the import restrictions lately and know it's okay. Last I heard, they would confiscate any American beef products.

What I always bring for my Japanese relatives is nuts. Most Japanese people enjoy them at snack time or with beer. They are expensive in Japan, which adds to their gift value. I avoid peanuts, but other kinds including mixed nuts go over well. Almonds, pistachios (in the shell), and various blends. I bring a whole bunch of 6-ounce and 11-ounce cans (Blue Diamond, Planter's) and a few cellophane bags of pistachios to be distributed to various relatives and friends. I think macadamias are also popular, although my relatives aren't as crazy about them.

Another item that has gone over well is chocolate-dipped dried fruits such as apricots, cherries, and blueberries. (Just plain dried fruits were not as well received but they really liked the dipped ones.)

I had heard at one point that See's chocolate was popular, and I've seen it for sale over there, but I think it's probably just a mini-fad. Somehow it caught on and people think it's cool. I would see this as a passing trend so you're taking a chance. (Much better chocolate is available in Japan.)

Sometimes I bring smoked salmon (the kind that comes vacuum packed and then boxed). This has been very well received.

If the packaging is attractive and "looks" American it adds to the value of the gift. Presentation is a big deal over there, although they usually don't gift wrap things per se, the way we do.
by Uma rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/10/19 02:13
Uma, thanks for the excellent suggestions. Depending on other possible answers, I think we'll most likely go with nuts and smoked salmon. My relatives are older, and I doubt they're into 'trendy' things, but you never know.

Now I'm wondering if my mother is going to make it with her beef jerkey, though, heh.
by Paul H rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/23 09:54
I've brought all those things you've mentioned and they were all well received.

I would second the mixed nuts as nuts are really expensive over here. See's candy is really not a bad idea too. I've brought the lollipop assortment and people really seemed to enjoy that. It's far from common in Japan and you really can't go wrong bringing candy as everyone likes it already. Actually some of the best received gifts were things that people had had or heard of before.

Bringing really unique food items is a crapshoot. For example, vegemite. People get a kick out of trying it but they definitely don't like it. Licorice is equally disliked. My thinking is that I want to bring something that people would enjoy eating that I know tastes good rather than shock value foods.

What's most important is that you brought something. It doesn't have to be expensive, really nicely packaged, or unavailable in Japan. It just has to come from you. And realize everyone is mentioning food because it really is the easiest and best received when you're not buying something for a specific person.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/23 09:58
for beef jerky make sure that it carries an "approved for export" type sticker. I was told that that would get you through customs ok but I had no chance to check.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

.. 2007/10/23 13:08
Lol try Pocky if they have any kids, or something the kids may like, you know speanding some time looking around toy stores/video games stores for something theyd enjoy

i think everyone had it down to the letter with what you should do, so i figured ild chime in with a what if they had kids answer
by by the way rate this post as useful

beef jerkey 2007/10/26 21:23
Well, I am in Japan now, posting fro‚a computer at a ryokan in the Fuji area.

I thought I would say thanks again for the suggestions, as well as pass along a little update. Unfortunately for my along a little update. Unfortunately for my mother, a little update. Unfortunately for my mother, her beef jerkey ‚v‚‚“ confiscated at customs...14 bags of it. She was NOT a happy camper after that! So she had to go shopping in Tokyo for new gifts.
by Paul H rate this post as useful

reply to this thread