Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 35

1 2
next

Toilet Troubles is this true! 2007/10/19 03:01
I have heard that the public toilets in Japan dont have walls around them! PLEASE is this true i want my privacy! ^^
by Jake E.  

. 2007/10/19 12:52
I've never seen a toilet in Japan that wasn't enclosed, with at least 3 walls and an entrance.
by John rate this post as useful

I'd worry about no TP! 2007/10/19 14:57
many public bathrooms don't have doors, so someone can see in to the sink & pisser area. but the poopers are inclosed.
you best check for TP before you start your business or things could get messy.
by JOHN rate this post as useful

wrong country! 2007/10/19 15:02
that's China buddy!

Japan is fine - ie. private.

--

but better bring toilet paper like the guy said - or else!
by d=) rate this post as useful

Not in japan 2007/10/19 18:11
You are definitely thinking of China, although I didn't see any toilets missing walls there, just doors. No need to worry in Japan- not only do the toilets have walls around them, the walls go all the way to the floor, unlike public toilets in many other countries.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Western Toilet are everywhere 2007/10/23 11:11
all toilets I have been to in japan have private western style toilets.

Besides, the japanese are known for being toilet fanatics. Most even have bidets and back wash features, Music, flushing noises, hot or warm air dryers to dry your butt.

Chill you are in the best industrialized country in the world! No british water closets here!
by I love me rate this post as useful

lavatory 2007/10/23 12:43
-------I have heard that the public toilets in Japan dont have walls around them! PLEASE is this true i want my privacy! ^^---------

You're quite misinformed. As "by I love me" and others mentioned, Japan is loaded with hightech toilets/lavatory equipments. I'm always thrilled to go use one of those when I'm there.
by cc rate this post as useful

what about train stations? 2007/10/23 14:06
Hmm, clearly you never went into the toilets in most subway or JR stations then, because they tend to be all Japanese style. Maybe one western style at the end of the row if you are very lucky.

Now I think about it, unlike where I come from, it is possible sometimes to see men standing at urinals as you walk past the front of toilets in train stations and parks. In my home country there would usually be another partition to shield people from the view.

The actual toilets though are certainly enclosed and the women's side usually has a partition so you can't see in.

Because 2007/10/23 23:33
Japanese style toilets have deep-rooted popularity
among people who hate to sit on seats used by
general public.
by ara rate this post as useful

not so 2007/10/24 01:57
------Hmm, clearly you never went into the toilets in most subway or JR stations then, because they tend to be all Japanese style. Maybe one western style at the end of the row if you are very lucky.----------

Where in Japan? I've been in subway stations and JR station's public toilets since probably you were born and they are basically all modern style toilets, some do have squat down flushable kind but most are just toilets and urinals of modern kind.

toilets 2007/10/24 04:41
I have found that outside of Tokyo most smaller train stations have Japanese-style toilets - sometimes with a western-style toilet, sometimes not. Most public buildings I've been in (Community Centers, schools) have only Japanese style toilets. And many many toilets at smaller tourist sites are only Japanese style. So they are still definitely out there, in large numbers...at the highway rest stop closest to Narita, there was a long line of women when I went it. But I saw free toilet stalls - so I asked 'why are you waiting' and found that all the ladies in line (all Japanese) were waiting for the western style toilets...no Japanese style toilet for them!
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

why would I lie about it? 2007/10/24 09:31
cc, my local station (Marunouchi Line) has all Japanese style toilets. I am not lying when I say that most stations I use regularly, JR and Tokyo Metro, have a majority of Japanese style toilets- even Shibuya station. Check it out for yourself if you don't believe me.

. 2007/10/24 09:36
I've seen totally opposite of what cc has described.
From what I've seen at many train stations is that toilets they are mostly squat type toilets, I would say the vast majority of them are squat type, at least in the male toilets, no clue what they got in the female ones. Now the newer stations or remodeled stations or remodeled parts of older stations might have sit down toilets, but the vast majority of them from my observation are indeed squat type. If you see a toilet that is designated handicap then those are usually sit down toilets.

majority 2007/10/24 13:22
I think it's unfare to say there are a lot of squat down toilets or no walls in lavatory in Japan.
If we're talking about the toilets---Most now are modern or universal toilets with enclosures. Even the schools are fitted with them. All my relatives and friends have modern types with gadgets, all places I go have modern type, some ryokan offer both traditional and modern. all hotels we stayed at have modern kind. My sensei's home is equipted with modern kind. Department stores have modern kind which you have to use coin to open the door. Restaurants have modern kind. Some old building retaurants have both traditional and modern. Train stations in Nagoya are all modern kind as I see it. In suburbs, more westerly or southerly you get in
Japan, I find some traditional kind but not that many. Certain areas public toilets where not much attention is paid by the local government (Kyoto shrines, parks etc) would still have traditional toilets for both men and women etc etc. In my opinion, most tourists will find places with modern kind of lavatory until they venture into traditional areas.
Tokyo still have old buildings scattered about but that doesn't mean entire Tokyo or other cities are filled with squat down toilets.

revised 2007/10/24 13:23
That would be unfair, not unfare.

...cleaner & more hygienic... 2007/10/24 15:49
Whether squat down or western style, toilets in Japan are generally speaking cleaner and more hygienic than most places.
by tju rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/24 20:29
I do not know why you are changing the subject now but the topic was public restrooms in train stations. I or Sira didn't say majority of ALL toilets everywhere we were speaking about train stations in specific, not someones house, school, hotel, department store etc, nor did we say toilets were not enclosed in any case.

. 2007/10/24 20:33
Considering Tokyo Metro area consists of the largest number of train stations and population density in Japan, many of the subway stations and local stations in Tokyo are equipped with squat toilets. I'm not saying sit down toilets don't exit but if I had to put my money on it, the majority of them would be squat type.

Toilet got 17 postings ?? 2007/10/24 21:08
Toilet got 17 postings,while my question regarding Nikko ryokan got no reply.
I wish I would get recommendation soon ,as my departure is getting closer.
by liem rate this post as useful

It's fine 2007/10/25 01:27
I've been all over Japan and have never seen a toilet without a door. You might find that you have no choice but to use a floor toilet which is mighty tricky on a bumpy train. However, most places (including trains) have western style toilets. If you go into a bathroom in a place like a department store with lots of toilet compartments you may have to look for the western ones. They are usually at the back end of the row. In some places the western toilets are marked with a picture. Yes, you may find some very fancy toilets, but some are definitely not. Keep the tissues they hand out on street corners for the times there is no toilet paper. (I'm a woman so I don't know about the toilets for men, but I'm sure there are doors).
by Happee rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 35

1 2
next

reply to this thread