Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan food 2007/10/20 20:15
I'm new here and wanted to know if anyone has gone to Japan and what did you eat there. I'm a veggie/non-dairy and the food in Japan looks like it may give me a hard time.if anyone can send me info at HoboKelly2007@wikichat.com I'd really appreciate.
by HoboKelly2007  

... 2007/10/21 01:47
I was their in the summer, and I'm vegetarian. My suggestion for you is soup and noodles.
by Person rate this post as useful

fish broth 2007/10/21 03:17
The thing is, you just don't know if the "vegetarian" dish you see is cooked in fish broth or not unless you ask. I'm sure there are udon noodle shops that specialize in konbu (a type of seaweed) broth but that'd be a big pain in the rear to look for them everywhere you do.

When I was a vegan, I ended up eating a lot of rice balls with vegetarian toppigs, seaweed salad, tofu, natto, baked sweet potatoes, bread, and veggie sushi. Of course, there is no shortage of Japanese sweets you can eat even if you're a vegan.

If you ignore that the broth might have come from fish, then there'd be a lot more options and that's what I do these days.

It'd be easy enough in Kyoto to find a sh?jin ry?ri (zen vegetarian) restaurant. I've never found a cheap shojin place though.

http://japanvisitor.blogspot.com/2005/10/vegetarian-food-in-...
by aoi rate this post as useful

Check this site 2007/10/21 09:29
Person, the soup and noodles almost certainly has chicken fat, pork fat or fish broth in there somewhere, so not vegetarian.

This question has been discussed at length on this site so if the person who posted the question would like to take the time to scroll down the food section a bit, he/ she will find more answers.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Japan food 2007/10/26 00:17
Thanks for your responses. More ideas welcome at HoboKelly2007@wikichat.com
by HoboKelly2007 rate this post as useful

A TravelBlog for Vegetarians in Kyoto 2007/11/19 16:34
My wife and I (both veg) just returned from a great trip to Kyoto, Japan. It can be a bit tricky to get vegetarian food in Japan but it's really worth the effort. We had so many great meals that we decided to write a travel blog about them. I hope this might be helpful to others who want to know more about places to find a great vegetarian meal in Kyoto--photos, descriptions, more.

http://VegJapan.LocalEats.net
A VegJapan TravelBlog

-Ken
by Ken rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/20 07:40
Ken-san,

Thank you so much for your wonderful Blog!! It's really well done. As you know, it's not easy to find vegetarian restaurants in Japan. I'm sure that you blog will help many people.

Thanks again.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

reply to this thread