Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Music Industry 2007/10/21 11:13
Hello,
I (as well as many others, evidently) have a dream of being a musician in Japan. I play many styles, but my main style is Speed Metal (aka SEX MACHINEGUNS) and Acoustical (aka Miyavi). I would really like to become a music artist. i care not about being popular, but I would like to do it for a living. I currently speak conversational Japanese, and am currently learning more via Japanese school. I intend to go in about 2 years in 2009. It would be of much much help if people could give me some pointers. Also, I would like to know...because if it is true, it'll break me, but...for a work visa...as a music artist...please don't tell me that you need a degree and/or professional experience...because i have none. I'm currently finishing up my senior year in high school and I intend to go to Japan after my band mate (a junior) finishes his school. So...yeah, can someone please help? I consider myself different, even if I'm not, because most people seek superstar fame. Me, I don't care to be famous, I just want to be able to make a living doing it. So can someone give me a little bit of guidance. Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you so much.

Best Reguards,
Reita

PS: Can I play in clubs and on the streets just on a 90-day tourist visa? It's not like I'm going to get paid. Shoot, I have to pay them!
by Reita  

competitive industry 2007/10/23 11:17
Reita, as it is in any country, to "make a living" doing speed metal and acoustical rock music, you need to be famous to a certain degree. Otherwise your records won't sell. In other words, your record company will force you to become famous, like it or not, and if you fail, you're out of business.

But like Martin Friedman always says (and don't tell me you don't know who he is if you're a foreign musician trying to do spead metal in Japan, right?), most metal players earn their living by working as studio musicians for kayokyoku pop singers. So I guess that's one way of making a living as a musician and not being famous (but it won't be metal you're playing for a living).

Japanese language is essencial, so you're okay with that. And no, technically speaking, you don't need a degree to be a musician in Japan. But to obtain a working visa, you need to have a proper job first, right? How are you going to get the visa if you're not hired as a musician yet? I guess you need to get a "side job" as an English teacher or something, therefore a degree will be usually necessary. Otherwise, the best way is to become a professional musician in your country first and be invited to Japan for your skills.

Another way to live in Japan is to come as a student. Of course you need to be one before you enter, so an exchange student will be ideal. Student visa holders are allowed to work up to, I think it was 28 hours a week as long as it isn't anything like the sex industry.

If you don't seek fame but just want to keep doing music, I think most people get a proper job that allows you a lot of free time, and they'd play music as an amateur in that free time. They might make a CD or two on their own expence (nowadays it's very easy to do it, right?). But if a label spots them and likes them, they're extremely lucky.

As for questions concerning your 90-day Temporary Visitor's Visa, ask your local Japanese Embassy for details. However how are you going to get a gig if you don't plan to be earning enough to pay the venue?

But if you like Japan and Japanese music, why not come anyway? Go to gigs, hang out at rock bars (drinking is permitted for people 20 years old and older) and see if you can find more info or new band mates. You've got your whole life ahead of you and opportunities are limitless!
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/24 00:56
Ah, I see. haha, you see, I don't mind being famous, it's just I don't care if I am or not. If I am, then I am. If I'm not, then I'm not, simple as that (in my mind). However, yeah thanks for the response. I don't really know if I'd want to go to Japan as a teacher. I know that the lead guitarist/singer of Monkey Majic was an english teacher before he went pro. They self-released a self-fudned EP, selling it in Sendai, and it kinda makes me want to do the same. I don't know quite yet. I'm gonna need more responses. But I thank you for your reaction.
by Reita rate this post as useful

reply to this thread