Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 weeks in Japan Where to go? 2007/10/22 13:35
Could somebody who is Japanese or knows Japan well suggest what areas I can visit on a 2 week trip 9 till 23 April. I will be flying into Osaka Kansai Airport and leaving from there on return. I plan on purchasing a 14 day JR pass. I am very keen to see areas that are not so western influenced. I would love to visit an outdoor hot spring and stay at a Ryokan. I am very interested in Japanese history and culture. I will be travelling with a friend and a 12 mth old child.
by Sophie  

12 months old? 2007/10/23 02:56
It is my believe that railpass may not workout with 12 months old baby in tow, not sure what the deal is on that either with Rail pass but keep in mind anything could happen at any given moment traveling with a baby. Do you really need to lock yourself with rail pass?
I could suggest many nice things since you would be there during nice time but you need to think about how you can leave a 12 months old baby with a babysitter at times. And the onsens will not allow baby to be in, they have signs posted, because the baby is not potty trained and water is too hot. Unless you go to a amusement water park or some kind in the city they have waddle pool for babies.
by cc rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/23 09:16
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks cc 2007/10/23 09:26
Thanks cc for that info. I understand what you mean about the 1 year old and the onsen idea..perhaps I should think about taking my 5 year old instead and leave the 1 year old at home!!
by Sophie rate this post as useful

Ummm... 2007/10/23 13:44
We read that children under 5 or 6 are allowed to sit in your lap. I do not believe they pay since they do not take up another seat. Go to Japan Railways on the net - all the info's there. :) Have fun!
by Dahlbabii rate this post as useful

clarity 2007/10/24 02:29
---------Thanks cc for that info. I understand what you mean about the 1 year old and the onsen idea..perhaps I should think about taking my 5 year old instead and leave the 1 year old at home!!---------

Most Onsen water is too hot for the five year old as well for any young children (they are small and can heat up and burn very easilly). Maybe you should stay home with them until they are both older to use onsen nor outdoor hot springs because water is usually very hot and have to use caution even for the adults.

As for RailPass if you think you can use it without any interruptions (incase something goes wrong on a way) from a baby in tow then you benefit from it.
Keep in mind, once you start using the Railpass, I don't think you can get your refund money but if you don't happened to use it at all you can get your money back.
by cc rate this post as useful

it might help 2007/10/24 06:19
It might help if you learn some basic japanese words/phrases, to get around more and survive, and in case of stuff like emergencys, so if someone doesn't speak english you can say that there is a problem or that you need help and that you don't speak the language or something
by by the way rate this post as useful

Thanks again 2007/10/24 13:51
Thank you again for your help with my question..yes it can be difficult to travel with children especially in a Country you are not familiar with.I did travel from Australia to Singapore with my 5 year old when she was 1 and didnt have any problems, however in saying that I did not have the language barrier as a issue. I suppose you just have to be prepared for anything and it helps to be organised and know where you are going to go and how you are going to get around.
by Sophie rate this post as useful

Travelling with kids 2007/10/24 15:13
As a mom who likes to travel, I think that travelling with kids are possible. It just takes more planning and energy! Since you are going with your friend, you and your friend can consider taking turns to babysit your kid and going for a dip in the onsen. And I also bring medication for all kinds of illnesses (fever, diarhoea, flu, cough...etc) for my kid wherever I go. Have fun!
by Suz rate this post as useful

reply to this thread