Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Honeymoon in Tokyo - advice please! 2007/10/22 21:51
Hi, I am getting married at the end of May 2008, and am hoping to organise our honeymoon to be in Japan. I have been before a few years ago, and my fiancee and I visited Osaka and Kyoto at the start of this year and both loved it.

This is my idea so far:

For 9 or 10 days, during the first two weeks of June 2008.

Fly from UK to Tokyo.
Stay a night in a luxury hotel.
Spend a couple of days relaxing at somewhere with an onsen (more on this).
Back to Tokyo, spend several days doing the usual shopping and touristy things - Ginza, Roppongi, Akihabara, Shinjuku, etc.
Fly back from Tokyo to UK.

So, about the onsen. From reading previous posts on here, I think Osenkaku is a great bet. It looks lovely, and reading the reviews of others seems that we'd have a great and relaxing time. Also, my fiancee is extremely shy - so the fact that they have some rooms with private baths is a great bonus as I think she would be very uncomfortable sharing with someone other than me (having said this, the pictures of the mixed bath look huge so there might be a certain degree of privacy - can anyone confirm this?)

So, is the Osenkaku a good choice? I see it as having a mixed bath so we can be together, private baths in some rooms, great food and atmosphere, and not too far from Tokyo. Are there any other recommendations or anything else I should know about this place or general onsen etiquette?

As we've been to Osaka before for the bulk of our previous trip, and a day in Kyoto, is there anywhere else not too far from Tokyo that we should visit?

I take it buying a JR pass would be the best plan for both of us (I've never bought one before).

Can anyone recommend a luxury hotel in Tokyo for our first night that would be easy for us to get to from the airport?

We both like to be kept busy, so could anyone else recommend any nice things to do or places to visit in Tokyo for a newly married couple?

Many thanks for your help, I really appreciate it! I'm hoping this honeymoon is going to be one hell of a surprise for my wife (she thinks we're going to America, although since we came back from Japan earlier this year she hasn't stopped talking about going back!)
by Will  

onsen 2007/10/23 10:41
For honeymoon, I'd suggest that you splurge on a room with private outdoor onsen bath and look for an inn that also has "public" bath that can be reserved for private use. If you are going to stay two nights, you should look for a onsen town with interesting sights or activities.

As for the rail pass, whether you should buy one or not depends on your itenerary.

For a side trip from Tokyo, Kamakura & Nikko are often recommended.
by aoi rate this post as useful

Hope this helps 2007/10/23 18:29
No need JR pass, but remember to get the Suica! It's a contactless pre-paid stored value ticket, which deducts everytime you exit from the gantry. Saves you plenty of headache figuring out how much to pay for your train rides. If you are taking a train from NArita to your hotel, do consider the Narita Express and Suica package.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html
You can do a search in the forums here for more info on the Suica

Might want to book an Onsen Ryokan in Hakone, it's really romantic there plus there are plenty of Ryokans with private onsens in the rooms. If you can't book any, try booking those with "family baths". These are baths you can reserve privately for a certain amount of time.

You can also take day trips to the locations aoi mentioned.
by Amelia rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/23 22:15
Just a personal view from a Japanese woman who is not too fond of big onsen shared by everyone :)
I haven't been to this Osenkaku at all, but I might also suggest instead booking a room WITH your private bath (often on the balcony) attached to it. I admit the baths in this Osenkaku inn look huge (at least on the photos), but this means there will be people who are simply used to bathing in huge, shared baths, so you will encounter around the bath area a lot of people walking around just wrapped in bath towels :) :) This I would not really say is very private atmosphere, and I would not recommend this for a honeymoon actually... just my personal view, though.
Instead, maybe you can splurge on a real good ryokan in Nikko (closer to Chuzenji Lake or even a bit upstream) with private bath IN YOUR ROOM, I think that would feel more cozy and private :) You can also walk about and visit the town of Nikko (if you go for temples and such), or go around to look at waterfalls and/or hike a bit too, particularly if you plan to stay for two nights.
by ... rate this post as useful

onsen 2007/10/24 04:13
This place won't work for you since it's a bit too far away from Tokyo (3 and 1/2 hous train ride plus 20 car ride; the inn provides free shuttle bus from the JR station) but just to give you an idea to how romantic and private an onsen can be:

http://www.bouyourou.co.jp/spa_room.html

http://www.bouyourou.co.jp/room_room.html

Five of their ten rooms come with a private onsen bath and all have ocean view.

Food looks to die for especially if you love seafood:

http://www.bouyourou.co.jp/dish_kaiseki.html

http://www.bouyourou.co.jp/dish_crab.html

I wish someone were taking me there. :D

... 2007/10/24 09:43
Onsenkaku is located at Takagawa Onsen. The baths are the largest rotenburo in Japan and are really quite beautiful. I've been there with my gf and depending on the day it can be busy or quite deserted. If you are there on a weekday then prepare for it to be quite empty except for the ryokan guests. Also, after 5pm the baths are closed to the general public but still open to the ryokan guests.

As for privacy, the majority of the bathers were couples when I was there. They all tended to keep to themselves. Also, the women are suggested to wrap themselves in towels and all were when I was there. So the women are actually quite clothed and it is really the men who may feel more uncomfortable. In fact I was a little uncomfortable myself while I waited for my gf to finish changing and join me in the bath. It seemed a little weird all, the couples and me by myself, but was fine once my gf met up with me.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

20 MIN car ride 2007/10/24 10:08
Obviously, I meant a 20 minutes car ride, not 20 car rides.

Honeymoon in Tokyo, you lucky b*st*rd 2007/10/24 20:06
The top hotel right now, without any question is the Cerulean in Shibuya. Ask for a corner room, giving you 180 panorama.

Go to Nikko, Nara and Yoshino, specially considerign the timing of your stay gardens will be splendid.

Onsen wise the top places in Hakone and Shuzenji are unforgetable. You will be so in love, you won't even notice the bill...
by Herman Blinkhoven rate this post as useful

reply to this thread