Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Place to stay between Kyoto and Tokyo. 2007/10/24 08:25
Hi,

This is my possible plan for an early December trip to Japan.

Dec. 2. Arrive to Osaka and take train to Kyoto.
Dec. 4 Leave Kyoto
Dec. 5 Unknown
Dec. 6 Arrive to Tokyo
Dec. 9 Leave Japan

I'm trying to see if anyone can recommend another city or town to stay on Dec. 5 that is between Kyoto and Tokyo. Am I being to optimistic with my time? Or should I just stay the extra night at Kyoto or Tokyo?

Thanks,
AG
by AG  

between Kyoto and Tokyo 2007/10/24 15:12
What about a one night stopover in Hakone area, so you have "landscape" between the two cities of Kyoto and Tokyo. You can reach Odawara by a shinkansen either direct or with one transfer from Kyoto and from Odawara to HakoneYumoto by local train. Stay overnight in Hakone area in a ryokan.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Stay 2007/10/25 00:09
AG

It all depends on if you have been to either city before or not and how much time you have spent there.

Hikone is a nice stop over, however, you can take a nice day trip to Nara or Kobe From Osaka. Then again, you can take the extra time exploring the areas of Osaka and Kyoto that you have not seen.

This will simplify the travel plans.

Tenshi
by Tenshi rate this post as useful

First timer 2007/10/25 01:23
This would be my first time to Japan. I figured having an extra stay in another city would cut into my Tokyo and Kyoto time. Perhaps a day trip would be a better option.

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to go snowboarding by Tokyo within one day?

by AG rate this post as useful

Snowboarding 2007/10/25 01:34
The area around Tokyo doesn't get much snow so you will have to go a couple of hours away (at least) by train to either the Japan Alps region or Tazawako area which is northwest of Tokyo. I'm not sure that even those places will have much snow at that time. I don't really see how you can do it in one day unless you spend the night near the ski area. My husband and son went skiing for one day in Tazawako taking the "shinkansen" from Akita, but that was in early January and there was lots of snow.
by Happee rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/26 01:39
Actually it is quite easy to go snowboarding as a day trip from Tokyo.

I would recommend Yuzawa, Niigata which is a short 1hr shinkansen ride from Tokyo Station. The beginning of December is a little early for most of the resorts but Kagura and Naeba are scheduled to open this year in the end of November.

Another easy option would be the Karuizawa Prince Ski Resort in Karuizawa, Nagano. About the same distance as Yuzawa, its a smaller resort but it is open earlier (Nov.1) and they produce artificial snow.

Check japan-guide.com for a resort guide on Yuzawa to be published shortly.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread