Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wannabe Anime Artist...? 2007/10/25 05:37
I love anime and i plan on moving to japan when i grow up (only 13) right now but alil worrie i wont make it and be broke like my uncle (whos also and atrist) i read about the naruto manga creator he had trouble in his career and was s lucky enough to have two sempai to help him i get compliments and stuff but i dont think my art is good enough do you think some1 would really accept an african american manga-ka :3 (i think thats a rare breed if you ask me)
by momo  

Well... 2007/10/26 03:33
First off, you're only 13 years old. There is a very big chance that you will not want to become a manga-ka when you grow up. It's alright, it's totally normal for kids to want to change their occupation. Even when people are in college, they change their major often, so although you may love it now, you may find that it is probably not what you actually want to do for a living, and find it appropriate and satisfying as a hobby (It's like musicians. Most want to make it, but they later find out that it's not for them, and being a hobbyist is sufficient enough). However, if you live for the next 5 years still wanting to be a manga-ka, are you're really that serious, then you will have to worry about legal and cultural issues, not to mention skill levels. Being a manga-ka is just like being a musician. There are just simply too many out there. But then again, you can eliminate most of them. I thought up of the 4 levels of competition that play in my head when I think about competition. It goes something like this;

Level 1
The people who have no freaking clue what the hell theyre doing and are going into the cave blind. They have no clue about the stresses, work, and competition involved in the industry they want to go in. Theyre basically not willing to do almost any work to achieve their goals. These people are the least, if at all, serious.

Level 2
People who somewhat have an understanding about how the industry works and/or are pretty decent artists. These people are somewhat serious, but are easy to turn away should something go wrong.

Level 3
The people who are very good at what they do, and theyre familiar with what theyre doing, and the industry they want to get into. These people are more serious and less likely to turn away if something goes wrong. Theyre more dedicated and willing to work at what they do to get better.

And finally,

Level 4
The people who are good at what theyre doing, and they know what theyre getting into. They are the most serious, and will not take no for an answer. They are the most dedicated, and the most willing to learn about their subject. They are the ones that are constantly looking for ways to better themselves at what theyre doing. These people are the ones you really have to look out for, because theyre good, and these are the people that the companies want, and are seeking out.

Now, this had originally applied me when I was seeking work in music, but it works in just about every industry out there. I dont care which one youre talking about. Now, you can break down into more levels, but in the general aspect, this is about what is going on competition wise. The serious ones dont need to worry about levels 1 & 2. They have to worry somewhat around level 3, but level 4 is the level that the real competition begins. After level 4, it then depends on what the company is looking for. Now since you want to work in Japan, you have to learn Japanese. Theres simply no way around it. If you wish to work in a Japanese-oriented industry, you must learn sufficient Japanese, written and spoken. If youre not willing to, then dont even try, because theyre not going to accept you. After that barrier, then you have to worry about skill level. Are you just as good, if not better, than the artists at hand? What makes you so special that the companies would pick you over one of their own? What do you have to offer to them? You have to think about that. Remember, a lot of natives of Japan also want to be a manga-ka, so youre going to have a lot of competition. Not only that, the work is enormous, and the pay is meager. Some would-be artists have to quit to pursue a different career because being a manga-ka just wont pay the bills. Think about these and do some research. You have 5 years, take your time.
by Nao in Roppungi rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/26 03:44
japanese anime production are seeking animator in abroad becos of less demand in japan due to high cost. company such as in famous of Samurai xxxxx are seeking animator and they are curently hiring people in the Philippines. Im sure about this info cox im prod manager of the production. we need people!!
by jyap desu kedo? rate this post as useful

݂܂ 2007/10/26 03:47
ato wa
japanese ability little needed in some productions.
but most needed is Yaruki!!
by jyap desu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread