Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Prices of food 2007/10/26 13:15
I WILL BE MOVING TO JAPAN PRETTY SOON, DONT HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT PRICES OF YOGURT, CHEESES, MILK AND CORN FLAKES ! CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THE PRICES ? APPRECIATE ANY TIP !
by OSVALDO  

food 2007/10/27 08:42
Please don't shout!!! (that's typing in all capital letters!!!)

One Litre carton of milk costs between 190-250yen.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Prices of food 2007/10/27 11:17
Sorry,

Sandy and everyone else willing to help, I did not mean to shout ! Thanks Sandy !

Better now ?
by Osvaldo rate this post as useful

This may help 2007/10/28 11:15
by JS rate this post as useful

Fair prices.. 2007/10/28 13:13
Just back from getting around for 3 weeks and food the price of food very reasonable compared to our Australian ones. But the meals were so good and so cheap I'd be like most Japanese and eat out all the time. You can't make it yourself for the price.
by Connie Chiwa rate this post as useful

prices 2007/10/30 02:57
When I was in Japan, I found prices for food comparable to that in the US with one exception: chicken & beef. They were more expensive in Japan.
by c rate this post as useful

:D 2007/10/30 06:13
Haha, milk and cornflakes :)

I hate cornflakes :(

But anyway... I've been reading on this subject for a bit and it seems fresh fruit and veg are really expensive :/ This is disturbing.

Is this because Japanese farmers get more money for their crops or that there isn't much farm-land? Over here (UK) fresh fruit and veg are cheap as. Cheap as anything.
by Brian rate this post as useful

Thanks for your tips 2007/11/1 11:54
Thanks for everyone who has answered to this request ! If anybody else has other opinion and tip, please !
by Osvaldo rate this post as useful

prices of food 2007/11/1 16:02
in japan food prices are generally expensive .one apple costs more than a dollar and if you like cooking with fresh herbs ,they are pretty costly too
by ebony rate this post as useful

depends 2007/11/1 16:39
"When I was in Japan, I found prices for food comparable to that in the US with one exception: chicken & beef. They were more expensive in Japan."

Well, to give you an idea, I bought some chicken fillets yesterday, and they were 60yen/100g, which if my calculations are correct, is about $2.37/lb (USD).

I also bought some lean Aussie beef, which was 135yen/100g = $5.33/lb.

What are the prices like in the US??
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Actually, thats comparible 2007/11/2 06:38
That's pretty close to what chicken fillet and beef is costing us at the local store these days. Beef in the US has really gone up lately due to the increased cost of corn (ethanol production is going to kill the world supply of corn!).
by cf rate this post as useful

.. 2007/12/30 02:08
groceries are expensive in japan and in very small portions. a loaf of bread has between 4-8 slices at your typical supermarket and the price ranges around 200 yen, carrots come 3 in a bag for 200 yen.. but wait you asked about some diff.items didnt you? umm...cheese-your limited. if you like the processed stuff i hope you like mozarella, 10 slices/pkg- 300 yen. its pricey at the supermarket.
by carrie rate this post as useful

Amount vs. Size 2007/12/30 06:22
I really don't think food is too expensive, with regards to fruit and veg. Maybe it depends on which country you're from and what it's like back home. But as for the 3 carrots for 200 yen, or 4-8 slices of bread for 200 yen, remember that these are monster carrots easily 2 inches thick at the top, or bread slices at least 1 inch thick as well.
by Inkk rate this post as useful

Food prices 2007/12/31 08:40

food is not that expensive if you shop in an old neighbourhood shotengai, as my Japanese friends do, rather than in a convenience store or a department store. This is the same as in Europe and North America where my relative and I know where to go for food shopping.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

60y/100g = AUD$6.00/1KG cheap!!!! 2007/12/31 08:55
Wow that is CHEAP for chicken. Here in Melbourne Australia the current price for chicken is between $12 and $17 per kilo (1000g).

The exchange rate is around 100y/AUD1.

I found food in Japan incredibly cheap. Some fruit and some vegetables were expensive - but then Japan doesn't exactly have the land or climate to be farming the myriad of green groceries that massive countries do.
by Natalie rate this post as useful

food trices 2008/1/3 14:35
The price of food varies depending on which area or which shop you are in. You will have to choose carefully where to buy food.
We used to have plenty of our own agricultural products including cereals, vegetables, fruit and fish(and some meet) in the past, but the number of farmers are decreasing because of financial difficulty. Our self-sufficiency rate is now less than 40% mainly due to the government's failure in farming policy, which is alarming. So the government is now trying to improve the situation by protecting farmers, revising the agricultural lows and regulations,etc. In fact Japanese farmers grow beautiful, delicious agricultural products which are now gradually being exported to other countries including China. I hope you try some of the Japanese products at stores, even if they are a little expensive.
by mamiko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread