Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I Need Some Advice 2007/10/30 15:18
Hi, My name is Michelle. I am moving to japan in 5 weeks, to be with my fiance, however i am leaving Australia on a working holiday, i wanted to know, once i get married in city hall to my fiance who is in the US military, what will happen to my ''working holiday visa'' - will the military or the immigration centre issue me with a new - more permanant visa?
I am really confused here, so if there is anyone out there that can give me some advice that would be great! Best to get me on my personal email.
Thanks heaps!
Kind Regards,

Michelle
by Michelle David  

Suggestion 2007/10/30 17:29
Hi, it seems a little complicated because your future husband is not Japanese. If he is American, I don't think you can receive a permanent visa from the Japanese immigration office.
You can stay in Japan as long as your future husband works in Japan. As to your work visa, I advice you to go and ask at the Japanese Embassy in Australia.
by mamiko rate this post as useful

visa 2007/10/30 17:52
I am not totally familiar with your situation but here is what I know:
Once you get married to your fiance, in some way that is recognized by the U.S. Military (do they recognize Japanese weddings?), you must become 'SOFA Sponsored'. The short story is that the U.S. military must recognize you as the spouse of an active duty member, and authorize you to be in Japan under the Status of Forces Agreement. SOFA Sponsorship will enable you to take advantage of all military facilities (once you are married, you will get a dependent ID card, and you can use base facilities, but it's not the same as SOFA sponsorship - for example, if you don't have SOFA sponsorship, you can't get the SOFA driver's license, or authorization for housing allowance or base housing.) The SOFA sponsorship will take the place of your visa.
Your fiance needs to get in touch with the legal people at his base to make sure he does everything correctly, in the right order. Better sooner than later.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Advice 2007/10/31 04:33
If you are only 5 weeks from leaving and your fiance does not have all this worked out with his unit personel officer, you are way behind! Does his personel officer even know you are coming? Has he obtained all the appropriate paperwork? Do you have housing? Tell him to get on it! There may be critical records you need to bring, such as passport, visa, birth certificate, etc...
by cf rate this post as useful

No need for a visa once you're married 2007/10/31 17:14
Hi Michelle!
The US military will sponsor you as your husband's spouse once you are married. You will be able to live, work etc ... here under the SOFA- Status Of Forces Agreement which is an agreement between the US and Japanese govt's to allow military personnel and their families entry and residency in Japan.
So there is no need for a visa once you are SOFA sponsored and you will be entitled to all medical, dental etc ... benefits and services they have on base. It's pretty awesome :)

Feel free to e-mail me any questions you have and I'll do my best to help you out as I have gone through what you are about to :)

Cheers.
by Ronnii rate this post as useful

reply to this thread