Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will onsen daily be health hazardous? 2007/10/31 20:42
Hi,

As we will be staying at an onsen hotel, we get to go onsen daily.

However was thinking, will it be dangerous if we have onsen daily for 5 days in a row? Will it cause any health & other problems or hazardous to guys?

Thanks!
by stella  

happy bathing 2007/11/1 12:04
Stella,

People come to the onsen TO get healthy. Onsen lovers bath many times a day. However, if you have certain health problems such as heart disease, high blood pressure, skin problems etc., or if you are pregnant, you need to avoid from bathing itself.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Yippee Bath to heart & soul content 2007/11/1 13:29
Thanks Uco!

by stella rate this post as useful

Additional advice 2007/11/1 18:21
In addition to Uco's advice, you should note that if the effectiveness of the onsen you’re bathing in is said to be substantially powerful, it is better for you to make your body gradually adjusted to the water to avoid adverse reaction, that is, you should start with only a few times a day and not too long bathing, then you may increase the duration and frequency of soaking if your condition allows.

Therapeutic bathing is usually taken in a set of long-term stay – like a whole month or more, so five days cannot be a problem at all, or rather short from the therapeutic viewpoint.

Have a nice onsen experience!
by mica rate this post as useful

H2O! 2007/11/2 02:57
------will it be dangerous if we have onsen daily for 5 days in a row? Will it cause any health & other problems or hazardous to guys?----------

Not to my experience.
I've stayed for a week at a time at onsen equipted resorts or ryokan/hotel for my arthritis.
But you need to follow their rules and drink lots of water and other healthy fluids to replenish your body fluids. Hydration is a key and also becareful if you are on certain medications etc, it all posted.

by cc rate this post as useful

I hope not 2007/11/2 06:33
Because when we stayed in Hokkaido, we went to the onsen 2 times a day for a 4 days!
But do make sure not to over-heat yourself. If you stay in too long & over heat, that CAN have very bad health effects (heat sickness or heat stroke in the severest case). So take it easy until you figure out what your tolerance is. My Japanese wife can stay in for what seems like forever, I can handle about 30 minutes tops. We went in April, when is was still cool outside. I prefered the outsise onsen because I could gradually sit higher & get most of my body out of the water, prolonging my stay.
by cf rate this post as useful

atsui mizu 2007/11/2 10:09
good point cf.
I like the onsen which provides cold water tub for cooling down which is very beneficial to onsen therapy in my opinion. If you get too hot, get out and take a cold shower or cool yourself down in the cold water pool or tub immediately. Don't do anything you're not used to nor over do it.
by cc rate this post as useful

Thanks all!! Onsen here we come!!! 2007/11/4 11:25
Thanks for all the advice on using onsen. We are really excited now :)))
by stella rate this post as useful

reply to this thread