Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

American Express cards in Japan 2007/11/1 11:41
Is American Express credit cards widely accepted in Japan ? What kind of stores can I use it ? I appreciate every reaction !
by Ozzy  

. 2007/11/1 12:09
I never had problems using AMEX in Japan. My hotels accepted it, JR stations take them (ticket sales), many department stores I've shopped at accept them as well. American Express is also a credit card that is issued in Japan, its not just a US based card. However like in the US there are other places that accept other cards, then other places that don't take cards at all. So just look at the credit card signs.
by John rate this post as useful

AE card in Japan--having problems 2007/11/5 03:15
I am an American living in Texas.
My girlfriend (Japanese) has
a U.S issued AE card.
She is having problems using it.
Can she get money from an ATM
and if so how? PLEASE
help--she has no money other
than this card.
by Craig Henderson rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/5 04:02
I am an American living in Texas.
My girlfriend (Japanese) has
a U.S issued AE card.
She is having problems using it.
Can she get money from an ATM
and if so how? PLEASE
help--she has no money other
than this card.

Yes she can get money, but she needs to know the PIN number for the card.

You know because it is a credit card money she pulls out is cash-advances and will be hit with high interest rates. Not to mention AMEX cards might have a limit on the number of money you can pull out.

Call the telephone number on the back of the card for more information, or contact American Express Tokyo:
http://www134.americanexpress.com/travel/CTNWTServlet?reques...
by John rate this post as useful

VISA Credit Cards Accepted in Japan? 2007/12/11 14:15
I'll be heading to japan in a week or so and I was wondering if hostels/stores accept foreign credit cards? I've heard that some stores won't accept foreign credit cards is this true?
by Eric rate this post as useful

Visa 2007/12/11 14:24
Eric,
please type your question in the small window right above the questions to get a lot of previous posts on that often asked question.
here is one of the threads:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+22424
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

AE and ATM 2007/12/11 22:37
About the ATM, it 's quite difficult withdrawing money, especially if the AE card is not issued in Japan,
However it works the ATM in the Post Office.
:)

by unmario rate this post as useful

reply to this thread