Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New Years Eve in Tokyo or Kyoto 2007/11/4 00:05
Hi!
I'll be in Japan from 30th dec... I planned to visit both Kyoto and Tokyo but the first problem is: where to stay during New Years Eve: Tokyo or Kyoto since everything's closed? And then: what to do, where to go?
I'll be with my boyfriend and we don't care to party all night long as soon as we can spend a nice evening and do something different... The idea to go to a shrine could be very nice but I wouldn't appreciate to queue for hours for a wish... ;-) Maybe a very nice and little temple that nobody knows...?!!!
What do you suggest to do? Pls help!
by alessia 74  

... 2007/11/4 07:41
Kyoto has the more historical temples and shrines, but Tokyo has probably more shops open on the first of January. I personally would spend New Year in Kyoto.
by Uji rate this post as useful

new years eve 2007/11/11 01:47
similar question: we are flying out on the 1st jan from kansai int'l and were wondering if we can stay 30 and 31 in some nice ryokan which is convenient enought to reach the airport on jan 1st??

many thanks, p
by PLAMEN rate this post as useful

kyoto 2007/11/11 03:04
alessia74 - I wouldn't exactly say that everything is closed. For the many temples and shrines in Kyoto, the New Year period is one of the busiest times of the year. The only problem that you'll face is finding accommodation as many places can be booked up well in advance. I recommend finding some accommodation ASAP.

As for temples/shrines to ring in the New Year, I'd recommend Chion-in in Kyoto. They have the largest bronze bell in Japan and they only ring it at midnight on New Year's Eve. It takes over a dozen monks to do so. It's quite a site to see, but it can get crowded early. However, people rotate around the bell so everyone gets a chance to see it.

On New Year's Day, the shrines and temples in Kyoto usually have special events too. In years past, for example, there was a free Noh performance at Heian-jingu. Pick up a copy of Kansai Time Out for a list of event schedules. However, everything is usually very crowded.
by chan_konabe rate this post as useful

thank you so much! 2007/11/12 19:16
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I'll try to find an accomodation very soon - start to look for today! What time do you think I have to get at the shrine with the big bell? Do I have time to have dinner and then go or it is better to eat something on the way or maybe there?
by alessia74 rate this post as useful

Kansai Ryokan 2007/11/27 11:52
You can get to Kansai from Osaka station by train or highway bus. Both are about 40 to 60 minutes. If your flying out on Jan 1st, I would reccomend the bus from Osaka station. Everyone and thier dog is traveling that day. There are many hotels near the station, not too many Ryokans, unless you are leaving from Kyoto.

We always stay at a business hotel one stop away on the train line from Kansai the night before. It's cheap and easy to get to the airport (5-10 min.)
by Rodney rate this post as useful

reply to this thread