Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Employment, Taxes & Working Holiday Visa 2007/11/4 21:41
OK this one is mainly for my fellow Australians and anyone who is knowledgeable about it I guess.

I'll be going to Japan on a Working Holiday Visa next month and will most like have to look for work to supplement my spending (if I'm lucky not to spend all of it by Day 2 at Akihabara, Aoyama, Ginza or Shibuya haha).

- Does anyone know of ANY sites that cater for employment to Working Holiday makers? I already know boobooSKI/BEACH, WWOOF Japan and Japan Association for Working Holiday Makers. The boobooSKI/BEACH is out of the question as I only speak a little Japanese, WWOOF Japan will only go so far for me with free food and accomodation in exchange for work as I do need money in the end so the Japan Association for Working Holiday Makers will be my main lifeline of jobs thats if there is anything available in their database. I've searched and googled all day but couldn't find anymore so I need all your help here in Japan-Guide.com So ANY OTHER info on websites or organizations that have job referrals for Working Holiday Makers are much appreciated.

- I heard Working Holiday Makers pay 20 percent tax on their income..BOO!!! what a rip-off :( Anway, does anybody know if Australia has a current reciprocal agreement with Japan about income taxes? I don't want to be doubled taxed/pay taxes twice - one in Japan and another when I get back in Aus for working in Japan :(

Thanks in advance. Your useful and relevant info is much appreciated.
by RJ  

Re: Australian Tax 2007/11/5 11:17
Check out this section of the Australiam Tax Office Website for info re tax payable while working overseas
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/2...
by Philip rate this post as useful

ATO 2007/11/5 21:07
thanks for the link mate...but since I'm not very savvy with big taxation office words maybe I'll just ring the Japanese consulate and the ATO before I head off to Japan :)

Anyway cheers for your efforts. Much appreciated.
by RJ rate this post as useful

ATO take 2 (first reply didn't show up) 2007/11/5 22:29
now I've forgotten what I wrote first time around haha well anyway maybe I'll just call the ATO office and Consulate of Japan and ask them for a user friendly simplified version of what I read in the ATO website which confused me more as I'm not savvy with the accounting and taxation jargons and slangs that they use. ATO should really simplify it for not quite intelligent people like me :/

However, thanks for the link and your efforts to help :) Much appreciated.
by RJ rate this post as useful

reply to this thread