Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sensei's house 2007/11/5 16:52
One of my Japanese teachers has invited me to his home for dinner late next week (Friday the 16th). He's a really cool older guy of about 70 years. I'm a guy in his late 30's. We have many common intrests that include (but are not limited to) Engineering, space, architecture, and most importantly a fascination with the Japanese railway system.
I have lived here for quite a few years but, have never been involved in a teacher student event that takes place in the teachers home. So my question is.
What kind of gift do I bring? We exchange gifts in class on a semi regular basis. When he goes to his home town (Sapporo) he brings me the local candy, ''Kibidango'' (きびだんご) and when I go home to the N.Eastern Unted states I bring him ''Tasty cakes and WAWA coffee..Sorry I didn't mean to stray...
What should I bring to a casual dinner at my teachers house? Would a bottle of wine do the trick, does the gift need to be more personel then our gifts given and recieved in the past? Any Ideas?
by Redrum  

... 2007/11/5 22:25
Redrum,

I think a nice bottle of wine would be fine :) It doesn't have to be "more personal," I'd say. Of course if you happen to know what kind of wine/sake he likes, or any food that you KNOW that he likes, that would also be a nice gesture, but wine goes well with a lot of food (you don't know if he is planning on having Japanese or western food, right?), so I think that will surely be welcomed :) It sounds like you've got quite a nice "friend-teacher" :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread