Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice - Where to go for extended days 2007/11/6 15:21
Hi all,

Please help suggest:

6 Dec - Fly in to Tokyo
6 - 8 Dec ???
9 - 13 Dec Tokyo (can change if more time needed elsewhere)
14 Dec Matsumoto
15 - 19 Dec Takayama-Shirakawago (Fixed)
20 Dec Nagoya (Fixed)
21 - 23 Dec ???
24 Dec Flight home from Nagoya

Where should we go from 6-8 Dec & 21-23 Dec?

Which of these places are possible:
(1) Hokkaido (which city)
(2) Aomori
(3) Akita
(4) Kyoto

Thanks a lot!
by francis  

extended days 2007/11/6 15:59
With three days to work with, you can get anywhere in Japan, depending on how you want to get there. You can fly to Sapporo, shinkansen all around Honshu or down to Kyushu, fly to Okinawa, it's all available for a price.
You can definitely get to Kyoto, either from Tokyo or Nagoya, and though your visit will be short, you will have a couple of nights there so you can see a variety of sights.
I like Hiroshima as well, where you can spend some time at Miyajima too.
You seem to be looking at northern places mostly, do you want to ski? or do you just like snow?
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/7 09:41
(1) Hokkaido (which city)
(2) Aomori
(3) Akita
(4) Kyoto

Kyoto would beautifully fit into Dec 21-23. Akita and Aomori into Dec 6-8. Hokkaido is a little bit far and it is not the best time of the year to visit.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kyoto = Temples? 2007/11/7 11:16
Hi Uji & Spendthirft,

Thanks for replying.

Think Kyoto is good as it is near to Nagoya.

However, Kyoto seems to be mainly about shrines & temple, which we are not keen. What else is good to see in Kyoto?

Also, is it wise to base ourselves in Nagoya then go out to Kyoto daily. Our flight home is out from Nagoya, 12:15nn.

Thanks so much!

by francis rate this post as useful

kyoto plan, ok? 2007/11/7 15:56
Hi all,

Is this plan in Kyoto feasible?

21Dec (Fri) -
Central & East Kyoto:
Nijo Castle-Nijo Jinya-Toji (flea mkt)
Kiyomizudera-Philosopher's Walk-Gion

22Dec (Sat) -
North & West Kyoto:
Kinkakuji-Arashiyama
(Bamboo Grove-Romantic Train-Hozu Boat)

23Dec (Sun) -
Himeiji Castle

What else can we add to this itinerary? Or is it too packed? We fear crowds :p so will we be going to places that are more crowded on the given days eg. Sat at Arashiyama? Himeiji on sunday?

For Arashiyama, what is the best order to travel? Boat--romantic train--bamboo groves or other order? I am
confused.

Btw, which hotel is more convenient to our above spots & to-fro Kyoto Station:
(1) Kyoto Garden Hotel
(2) Toyoko-Inn Gojo Karasuma

Last question, anyone knows if the bed size in Toyoko-Inn Gojo of the double room is an actual double bed (160cm) or smaller (140cm)?

Thanks all!!!

help !!! 2007/11/9 12:15
Pls help on questions in previous posting.

Thanks!

bed 2007/11/9 12:35
the double bed is 140 cm wide. twin rooms are more comfortable for 2 people.
re the other questions:
I grew up in the days before internet when many people would go someplace without reserving hotels in advance, as this wasn't very practical, and then winging it with the help of a guidebook. 3/4 of the fun of travelling then was discovering things that weren't not even in the guidebooks.
What I trying to say is that you shouldn't expect others to plan everything for you, if only because people all have different tastes and way of doing things (besides very practical info like what train tot ake, at what time, or the size of the bed etc.) whether you see the bamboo grove before or after the boat ride depends on the weather that day, at what time you arrive there etc. The bamboo grove is neither near the river not the 2 rail stations so...
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

misunderstood question 2007/11/9 12:53
Hi Sensei 2,

Thanks for the info on the bed size. That's critical. :)

Certainly agree with you that everyone has different preference to how a trip should be organized and some fun of the trip is discovering new things.

Maybe my questions were not clear enough. I am actually asking about the orientation of each location as I read that the romantic train is only 1 way. And not sure which is the correct station to alight for Arashiyama, there seems to be two stations (Keifuku & Hankyu).

Of course would appreciate some advice on the most time efficient route to see Arashiyama.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

reply to this thread