Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Small Gifts of Thank You? 2007/11/7 09:41
I am going to Japan in Feb/Mar 2008 - partly for business.

Some of the people I have arranged to meet will be giving me small gifts - I understand this is a custom in Japan.

I would like to ensure that I take appropriate small gifts in return.

How much money should gifts be worth?

For instance, one person who I only have talked to via email is a maker of fine custom doll accessories - he has told me he much admires one of my Australian friend's work. Would commissioning a small gift from my friend for him be best? Or should I take something Australian?

Second, I am meeting with a very large well known toy maker at they offices, is it correct to take a small gift of thanks for them taking the time to see such a small beginner like myself?

Thirdly, I am meeting an Australian man and his Japanese wife. These kind strangers let me stay at their apartment in Tokyo last year - without even having met me - while they were out of town. This saved me money, time and much inconvenience. How to repay such kindness when I meet them for the first time next year?

Thank you in advance.
by Natalie  

... 2007/11/7 10:07
Though it is not obligation, it is a nice gesture and serves as a tool to start/deepen conversation. I think something Australian would be fine for the first 2.

For the last couple, why don't you ask him if there's something he misses about Australia. I'm sure that he misses something (local food, magazines and so on) which he cannot buy in Japan :)
by JLady rate this post as useful

reply to this thread