Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan's standards on house dimensions? 2007/11/7 10:52
I'm in a Vocational school for Architecture and I wen and told my instructer that I wanted to design a Japanese style dream house for myself. I've done my research but I cannot seem to find Standard dimensions for the houses.
Does anyone know of websites or such that can give me general interior dimensions?
Thank you very much.
by Autumn  

japan house 2007/11/7 14:43
Old traditional house are made with Shakkan measurment.
Size of 8 Tatami mat floor is; 2ken(362cm)X 2ken(362cm)= about 13.10 square meter.

1ken = 6shaku =182cm

But nowdays,Japanese house are using meters and 2X4s,so they adjusted tatami size to modern house.

http://www.e-house.co.jp/plan/stylebook/001.html
by hodad rate this post as useful

houses 2007/11/7 17:29
are you familiar with the modern version of Japanese bathrooms (as one who has used a few, they are the best bathrooms ever) and kitchens? . have a look at www.toyotahome.co.jp/ if you don't read Japanese click on translate. A page open in strange google English. in the second column of 3 under a guy photo click on the 3rd roow. this will ope nan index of real houses already built. click on each photo for details (same instructions if yo uclick on the original home page in Japanese) one house in particular is more traditionnal than the rest.. Try to get the address of Kinokinuya bookstores, they have them in several countries. they sell monthly magazines on both modern and traditional houses and book in English on building traditionnal houses, with plans and dimensions. they have e-mail adresses in English in the USA section at the bottom of the page.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

Japanese houses 2007/11/7 17:40
This is an older but great book worth his price in gold.. Amazon sells it.
Measure and Construction of the Japanese House (Books to Span the East & West) (Paperback)
by Heinrich Engel (Author) Paperback: 149 pages
Publisher: Tuttle Publishing,US (Sep 1985)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0804814929
ISBN-13: 978-0804814928
actually you could write Tuttle as they have scores of boks on Japan.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

reply to this thread