Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Restaurants and Street Vendors of Tokyo 2007/11/8 01:11
Hello,

My name is Mark Black and I'm a researcher with Ocean Entertainment and
Cellar Door Productions, producers for Food Network Canada.
We are going into production for a brand new series with Chef Michael Smith (Chef at Large, Chef at Home)
called CHEF ABROAD.

CHEF ABROAD is a show that will take viewers behind the scenes of some of the world's most amazing culinary adventures.

We are hoping to depict and chronicle culinary adventures in Tokyo with Chef Michael Smith and his crew. We're hoping to showcase the unique tastes and cuisine of Japan, basically dishes that Westerners are not familiar with. We plan to be in Tokyo at the end of November and were looking for aid in contacting restaurants, markets, vendors and chefs.

We're looking for a restaurant that specializes in or serves the following: Habu Sake, Shiokara, Fugu, frog sushi, Hachinoko. We're also looking for the best area in Tokyo for street vendors. We've heard that super markets usually have a pretty impressive basement food court/market. Is there one super market that has a better selection than another?

We are documenting Ramadan, the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo and the culinary side of a Naval aircraft carrier, to give you and idea of some of our shows.
We're very excited about filming in Tokyo and we are hoping that someone reading this could help us with some suggestions

I look forward to hearing from you, and if you have any
questions or comments, contact me.

Thanks,
Mark
by Mark Black  

PA 2007/11/8 13:42
i am a freelanced production manager in Tokyo...
i can help you on few things in my spare time but my Englrish is not so good.
by hodad rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/9 07:43
It's not supermarkets but department stores that have food court. It's out of your imagination! Isetan is Shinjuku is voted as number one for its amazing food court.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

Food 2007/11/9 13:26
All the department stores do have amazing food floors. Not just Japanese food either but also French, Italian etc.
I haven't seen too many street vendors, if only because the sidewalks are so crowded w/ pedestrians, perhaps also because Japanese don't like to eat while walking etc. and finally because there are so many small great restaurants all over the place.. There are food street stalls in Fukuoka, all lined up on the river bank in the evening.
by the way, why Tokyo? Osaka is known in Japan as the place where people live to eat instead of eating to live. in addition Osaka is very near kyoto where there are also great restaurants. Also the crowds in Osaka will be a bit less overwhelming than in Tokyo. You can fly straight to Osaka from Vancouver.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread