Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One Way Ticket to Japan from Korea 2007/11/8 20:05
I am currently visiting my family in Korea (after living with my fiance in Japan for 2 months). I am supposed to be going back to Japan, but this is where my question comes in.

Is it possible for me to go to Japan on a one-way ticket? Thing is, my fiance and I are planning to get married soon, and I plan to switch my tourist visa into a dependent one soon after. By the way, is this method even possible? Is it possible for 2 American citizens to legally get married in Japan?

Anyways, our biggest worry is that Japan won't let me in with a one-way ticket (my family in Korea is trying to buy it for me right now). I have a perfectly good explanation, as well as enough money to buy myself another plane ticket if I have to. Has anyone else had too many problems entering on a tourist visa with a one-way ticket? Please answer soon, and I appreciate any advice anyone would have to give in advance.
by Jen  

... 2007/11/9 10:06
First of all, I believe that you can get married in Japan regardless of your nationality. You just need to file the proper paperwork.

As for entering without a return ticket, I recently did just that and immigration didn't even bat an eye. I've never been asked anything by immigration, however if they did ask then they could theoretically use it as a reason to deny you entry. But I guess you could always tell them that you plan to buy your ticket in Japan just before you would leave.

Anyway, if you are really worried about it you can do 2 things that would fully cover you:

Buy a round trip ticket from Korea to Japan and just don't use the second leg. It's often around the same price between a one way and a return ticket so you don't really lose anything.

If the price difference is too much then consider getting a fully refundable return ticket to carry with you and then refund it once you're in Japan.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/11/9 21:58
Thanks a ton for your quick and helpful response! I really do appreciate it. I guess it doesn't help to be overly stressed about such a thing. If anything, it may make me seem more suspicious when it comes time for me to meet with immigration.
by Jen rate this post as useful

Visa 2007/11/10 03:22
Jen,

Sounds to me that you are a US citizen but flying from Korea. Is this correct?

Japan is putting into affect a series of new security procedures on or about Nov 20th. I suggest that you contact the Japanese consulate in Korea or the US Consulate there. Look at these two web pages:

Korea:
http://www.mofa.go.jp/about/emb_cons/over/asia.html

US:
http://seoul.usembassy.gov/contact.html

If the round trip is not that expensive or if the airline will allow you to change your return date (many airlines do), you can always just buy the ticket and either give it up or change the date. This way you can fly back to visit your family at some point and with your new visa status buying a one-way ticket will be easier.

Tenshi
by Tenshi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread