Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica, Nex, JR pass or Metro card? 2007/11/10 05:23
Hi all, i am still abit confused as to which card is better when im at Tokyo. I am getting the JR past, from what i understand, allows me to travel to places outside Tokyo.

1) I am wondering whether i should get the Suica card or Tokyo Metro Open ticket card? I am intending to stay at Tokyo for four days!

What's the difference between the 2 cards?

2) I am intending to take Narita express from Narita airport to my hotel in Ikebukuro. So Nex only allows me to travel from e airport to Tokyo. Which card should i get if i were to travel from Tokyo back to e airport on the last day?

Thanks in advanced! :)
by Ivy  

... 2007/11/12 11:20
The Japan Rail Pass covers the Narita Express and the JR trains inside Tokyo, which let you access many of the city's attraction. Assuming, you are already using the pass during your days in Tokyo, I would just be using your Japan Rail Pass and buy occasional single tickets for eventual non-JR train and subway rides.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/12 11:23
Ivy, what is your plan aside from Tokyo? If you intend to trip, for example, from Tokyo to Osaka and back to Tokyo, JR pass is more reasonable than buying tickets seperately. And in this case, your JR pass allows you to use basically all JR lines in Japan, including JR lines in Tokyo.

As you will stay in Ikebukuro, your nearest station is JR Ikebukuro station. Then, why don't you use your JR pass for JR legs and buy Metro or other non-JR line tickets seperately only when you need them?

FYI, Metro Open Ticket is a Day pass while Suica is a rechargeble card without any discount.

And as long as you have a JR pass and its validity covers your whole journey, NEX from the airport to Ikebukuro and back to the airport is covered by JR pass.
by JLady rate this post as useful

which card, pass? 2007/11/12 11:51
Uji and JLady are experts on Japan. They are 100% right. I travel around Tokyo mostly on the JR Yamanote line, like 4 to 6 short or long trips a day. I only use special tickets for the Yurikamome and the Arakawa tram.
I was in the Kansai this October and wanted to buy a Icoca card just to try it but discount tickets bought in booths near the stations were actually cheaper all together.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

reply to this thread