Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About Kome (rice) 2007/11/12 13:25
According to Japanese people,what is Kome (rice)?not just any food, of course. as I know rice was such a crucial part of Japanese life that they referred to their land as the land of rice. This clearly reveals the incredible value of the crop to the ideas and beliefs of the Japanese people.The Japanese believed that each grain of rice had a soul and that it痴 soul was alive while in the hull. Rice represents the 遡okoro, the heart and soul of Japan's culture, not only the basic source of food but also the historical nucleus of the language, religion, rituals, and the spirit of cooperation and harmony in the Japanese people. what is exactly KOME? more than just a staple food
by rida  

Yea... 2007/11/13 21:18
...yea, for most Japanese people today, rice is just rice. Don't think about it too much.

If you want to get into the historical and sociological reasons, here is a simple answer: The only reason they eat so much rice in Asia, as opposed to the west, is because Asian societies work in "groups" and rice can only be harvested with the collective effort of an entire village.
by Been in Japan too long rate this post as useful

wow 2007/11/14 11:30
thank you very much.
i love your answer
by rida rate this post as useful

Rice... 2007/11/14 15:32
I live in the US. Sometime when I am hungry, I smell steamed "Japonica" rice and really want to eat some. This is how Japanese feel about rice, I suppose.
by Hiroko rate this post as useful

Kome soul? 2007/11/15 14:58
There is not such a "soul" or religion related with rice. I asked my husband, my japanese sisters, my japanese friends and they have never heard about it. Where did you get the info? I am just curious.

Rice is important yes, has some history yes. Specially years ago in Shogun time, the samurais wanted to have land to grow rice on it, but for monetary matters, they changed rice for goods. Hope it helps you. Forget about a soul in each grain....sounds something like new age talking, but maybe I am wrong along with my family.

KOME = unkoocked rice
GOHAN = cooked rice
And it is delicious! I married to a japanese 31 years ago and learned to eat it and can't live without it.
by Nice mom rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/17 23:31
well.. i just in doing my thesis, and theme of my thesis is about kome identities in japanese though, custom, culture, etc.
from doing my thesis, i just come to shock. there are a lot of articles, books, journal which say that rice is not just a staple food, rice is soul for japanese. i have read a book, the tittle is "Rice as Self Japanese Identities through Time" by Emiko Ohnuki-Tierney. in that book i found that rice more than just food. i just don.t believe that before, but until my teacher (japanese people) give me furui kotowaza "hitotsubu no kome ni mo man nin no tamashii ga yadotteiru node, nokosazu kirei ni tabemasho" (in one single grain of rice have thousand spirit, so eat it till end). i just come to shock again, knowing that many modern japanese people do not know about this ????

Of course not! 2007/11/18 01:04
Rice is not just rice for Japanese.
by maki rate this post as useful

Hojan Again 2007/11/18 01:33
Thank you Rida:

As I told you I was curios, and I am also surprised that my family knew the importance of rice but not related with religion. Every day we learn something new indeed! Thanks again I am always open to knowledge.

If you can tell me other books related with religion and rice, I will really appreciate. The ones I've read only are related with history. And I will loved to teach to my family (at least for the first time in my japanese life) something they don't know.

Also I have to give lectures at my University about Antrophology and any information is truly appreciated. By the way, since Christmas is close, do you know the true colors of Santa's clothes?
Thank you dear for your prompt answer. Bye.
Nice mom

your teacher did not say that 2007/11/18 13:28
Rida,

I would appreciate it if you do not use my suggestion and make it sound like it was someone else's actual quote.

On the other thread, I merely made a _suggestion_ that, if you want to say something along the lines of "in one single grain of rice have thousand spirit, so eat it till end", it would be something like "hitotsubu no kome ni mo man nin no tamashii ga yadotteiru node, nokosazu kirei ni tabemasho" which is a mere translation I just made up, but that I still had never heard of such a kotowaza (phrase) in Japanese.

Btw, I think that it's important to know that rice to the Japanese is not just staple food, because it will lead to a better understanding as to why the Japanese government keeps on refusing imported rice. However, it's more about protecting the farmer's incomes or understanding that the Japanese prefer glutenous Japonica rice over Indica rice, and it's spiritial in a way but not that religous.

Rice to the Japanese is probably like wine to the French or potatoes to the Irish. Big but not too overly big.
by Uco rate this post as useful

To Nice Mom 2007/11/18 13:34
If you are interested in the relation between Japanese gods and feast, you might be interested in what I wrote as of Nov 17th on Rida's related thread as follows.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+42602

More Gohan Ne? 2007/11/19 04:26
Uco san:

I'm so happy, finally I met you.

Hajimemashite, watashi wa Any desu. Kore kara yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

I admire you, because you always are so wise in providing information. People like you make me feel proud to be a woman. By sure your kid (1 ne?) is smart as mommy. Thank you for your information I am going to check on the place, may I copy it and could I give a lecture to my students if such info belongs to you? I'll be honored if you answer my query.
I was asking about Santa and no joking, because I made some research with the Catholic Church, I don't want Internet cause some times there are a lot of wrong info. If you want it, be my guest. Also I finished a book about Phitoteraphy and just waiting to find Editor but any info I can provide you.
Today I'm taking care about my grammar, because sometimes I write so fast that I make million mistakes. Sorry if today you find one.
OK. wise, smart lady, nice to meet you and thanks a lot.
Bye,
Nice mom

Nice Mom 2007/11/19 16:32
Any-san, you're exaggerating about me being wise or what not. Any Japanese addicted to this forum can answer those things :) and you can usually "meet" me any time on the internet simply by posting on a thread I've visited recently.

Also any info I post here doesn't "belong" to me. I have no copyright etc. It's just common sense, and since I'm an anonymous poster on the World Wide Web, you should double-check whatever I post. I just try to be helpful, and I'd be happy if any of the info I provide can "inspire" the viewers, but not make them believe in me :)

Btw, if you're really interested in gods and legends of Japan, you can also look up "yao-yorozu-no-kami 八百万の神". You can also enjoy the Oscar-winning animation feature "Spirted Away (Sen To Chihiro No Kami-kakushi)" which introduces the gods in a fictionious but entertaining way.

Thanks Uco san 2007/11/20 09:51

"HUMBLENESS MAKE US WISE"

Mudfish agrees with me, check thread about breasteeding.

uco 2007/11/20 15:11
i'm sorry uco, i've forgot not telling that after you told me (hitotsubu no kome...), i've been ask some friends about that, and one of my friend told me that he ever heard some kind kotowaza like that from his grandfather, but ano kotowaza in clasic japanese language, and he forgot how to spell it. but it has a same meaning (in one single grain have thousand spirit, so eat it until end).
i must asking japanese friends more for that.
"Spirited Away" got Oscar for best Anima in 1994, is it right?

2002 2007/11/21 15:22
"'Spirited Away' got Oscar for best Anima in 1994, is it right?"

It's 2002 ;)

reply to this thread