Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

best JR rail pass for 12 days travel 2007/11/13 18:30
I will be staying in Japan for 12 days in total.Travelling from Sydney, I'm thinking of getting a 7-days pass, rather than 14, due to the huge fare difference. Long distance travelled will be Osaka-Tokyo-Osaka-Kyoto-Hiroshima-Osaka.

However, I will be staying in Tokyo for 6 nights, leaving my travel from Osaka-Kyoto-Hiroshima-Osaka invalid with use of JR Railway Pass if I were to use the 7-day pass.

Question is: should I take the 14-days pass instead?

or stick with 7-days pass and buy individual tickets for travel in the last 6 days?

Which one would be cheaper?
by Din Bota  

14 day JR Pass 2007/11/13 23:45
Difference between 7 and 14 days JR Rail Pass is Yen 16800. Kansai Airport to Tokyo is Yen 15500. ( Of course for Tokyo-Osaka-Kyoto-Hiroshima-Osaka JR Rail Pass ). Because of the small difference of Yen 1300 I would opt for the 14 day JR Rail Pass and all your JR travel is covered. Within Osaka and Tokyo you can use the JR trains with the Pass, too as well as the JR train and JR ferry from Hiroshima to Miyajima. ( But not subway, tram or bus in the cities)
by Peter rate this post as useful

JR pass 2007/11/14 06:17
you can use a 7 days JR pass to do your long trip all the way to Hiroshima and back. either do Tokyo then the long trip or vice versa. You can start your pass anytime, not necessarily the day you land. this may mean that you will have to pay for the trip to or from the airport but you can' t avoid that. on the other hand, look at www.hyperdia.com and find out how much it would cost for all the major train trips, including from/ to the airport, plus going around Tokyo daily for 5 days and you may find out that a 14 days pass is worth it. as an example I recently used a 4 days Sanyo pass (yen 20 000) to go from Kansai airport straight to Hiroshima. The following days we went daily to Hiroshima from our hotel in the suburbs, visited Miyajima, went to Fukuoka for 1 day, then finally to Kobe for the rest of our trip and it was definitely a bargain.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

reply to this thread