Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Japan during year end 2007/11/13 19:23
Hi,

I was thinking to visit Japan (Tokyo) from 23 Dec to 5Jan. However, after reading the guides, its seemed most places (food and shopping) are closed from 31 dec to 4 Jan. Is it still worth going to Tokyo or will Hokkiado be a better choice.

I 'll like to stay in a family run inn to get a japanese experience during my visit instead of the regular hotels. Do you have any recommendation?

Would any ski resort be happen during new year (near to tokyo)

As for Mt Fuij - will it be closed?

Many thanks and appreciate all advice!
by Christine  

New Years. 2007/11/14 04:35
Christine,

My first trip to Japan was during the same period. It is both an interesting and tough time to be in Japan. Tokyo is always busy, so you will find things to do. Do a search for New Years Zevents in Tokyo and go to a party.

It is however, true that a lot of government offices, museums and such will be closed.

You may then again, find special performances that take place during that time and so you can keep yourself busy.

Skiing near Tokyo is possible. Take a look at this site: http://www.snowjapan.com/e/index.php

Enjoy
Tenshi
by Tenshi rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/20 08:50
its seemed most places (food and shopping) are closed from 31 dec to 4 Jan.

No. Food and shopping is usually only closed on January 1st, although many stores are open even on the 1st. It is museums and some tourist attractions that are closed for multi-day periods.

Is it still worth going to Tokyo or will Hokkiado be a better choice.

Tokyo and Hokkaido are completely different places. It depends on what you want to do!

Would any ski resort be happen during new year (near to tokyo)

Virtually all ski resorts should be open by late December. An easy one from Tokyo is Yuzawa:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7690.html

As for Mt Fuij - will it be closed?

How do you want to close a mountain? You can see the mountain from many places, including the Fuji Five Lake region. The road to the 5th Station might be partially closed depending on snow conditions.

Of course, you cannot climb to the summit.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/17 10:09
Check out this page for more info about places to experience snow in Japan.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2265.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

What tokyo is like.... 2007/12/17 11:16
Though many foreingers head to Tokyo, it is one of the least suitable place to get a japanese experience.

For, it's an extremely big city, it's one of the newest Japanese cities, and it's one of the least cost-effective cities in Japan.

This is what my Australian friend told me.
Tokyo is obsessed by USA

It's ok to head to Tokyo if you are keen only in modern aspect of Japan. If not, you should check what cities are suitable to your interest.
by Jtraveller rate this post as useful

reply to this thread