Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Overnight train from Nagano to Hokkaido 2007/11/14 20:36
Hi All:

I am planning a snowboard trip to Japan mid-Dec '07 and am planning to use the JR Pass to travel from Tokyo to Nagano, then directly from Nagano to Niseko (depart later in the evening).

Is it possible to ride an overnight train from Nagano to Niseko directly without backtracking to Tokyo? If so, are there any sleepers?

Any information or additional suggestions on where to board (backcountry)in Japan would be of great help!

Thanks!

Marc
by Marc Miesing  

... 2007/11/14 21:42
Where are you planning to go in Nagano. Access-wise, a day trip may not be the best idea.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

replace Nagano 2007/11/14 22:01
what about instead of Nagano going to Appi Kogen, Zao, Hakkoda or another northern snowfield along the logical route to Hokkaido?

Nagano is not the only snobo country in Japan, if that is your sole reason.
by Pericles rate this post as useful

Re: 2007/11/14 23:14
what about instead of Nagano going to Appi Kogen, Zao, Hakkoda or another northern snowfield along the logical route to Hokkaido?
Nagano is not the only snobo country in Japan, if that is your sole reason.

Yes, I am strictly going for the boarding (more the powder and backcountry, the better). From my research, every one seems to be saying to go to Hakuba and Niseko. I have been to Naeba already and am looking for something new. Thanks for the suggestions and I will definitely look into them! How do you think the conditions are in mid-Dec? Have you taken the train from there to Niseko?
by Marc Miesing rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano 2007/11/14 23:16
I was thinking about taking the earliest bullet train in the morning to Nagano and leaving late in the evening. Short trip (5 days) and want to knock out as much terrain as possible.

Thanks Pericles 2007/11/15 00:18
Thanks Pericles, you are awsome! I just did some research and cannot believe I didn't come across this before! Forget Nagano, Hakkoda is everything I am looking for. Thanks again!

... 2007/11/15 11:03
((modest smile))
by Pericles rate this post as useful

reply to this thread