Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto in 5 Days 2007/11/16 07:32
My wife and I will visit Japan for 5 days in Dec. We will first fly into Tokyo, stay for 3 nights in Shinjuku then to Osaka for 2 nights to visit Kyoto and fly out of Japan from Osaka Kansai airport. From reading through the forum we have decided to purchase the NEX SUICA package and use "Puratto Kodama Economy Plan" from Toyko to Osaka.

Need help for the following:
- can the Suica be used in Osaka area such as train from Osaka to Kyoto and Osaka to Kansai airport?
- Can we get the deposit and left over of Suica back in Kansai airport
- Can we take the kodama shinkansen train from Shinjuku station to Osaka, or we need to go to Tokyo station to take the kodama.
- In Osaka, we will stay in a hotel close to Shin-Osaka station, which train is the best to use for Kyoto and Kansai airport.

Thanks for your help.

by Edmund  

kodama or nozomi 2007/11/17 01:33
You are aware that you save „onlyg around Yen 3000 when you use the Puratta Kodama Economy Plan between Tokyo and ShinOsaka station. There is only one train each hour between 07.56 h and 17.56 h ( and one further after 19.00 h ) while there are nozomi shinkansen every some minutes. It takes four hours with the kodama compared to 2 hours 20 min with the nozomi. Shinjuku is no shinkansen station. From Shinjuku to Tokyo station by commuter train first.
Suica can be used in Kansai area, too. Lost refund is around Yen 800.
Between ShinOsaka station and KIX airport direct JR haruka train( Yen 300 ) or private line but with 3 transfers at Yen 1200.
Between ShinOsaka and Kyoto the expensive shinkansen ( Yen 3000 , 15 min ride ) or better the normal JR train ( Yen 540 , 25 min ride )
by Peter rate this post as useful

wrong figure 2007/11/17 01:37
Sorry mistake:
Between ShinOsaka station and KIX airport direct JR haruka train ( Yen 3000 not three hundred )

reserved seat or unreserved seat 2007/11/17 04:50
Thanks Peter for the info.

With Nozomi, do I need to purchase reserved seat or unreserved seat for week day train around 2 pm?

We will take the normal JR train Yen540 from ShinOsaka to Kyoto, and the JR haruka train to KIX airport. Can we use the Suica for these 2 trains?
by Edmund rate this post as useful

meaningless!!! 2007/11/21 04:40
You can catch haruka airport express at Shin-Osaka station too. You dont have to go to kyoto station

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html
by Jtraveller rate this post as useful

ShinOsaka Train 2007/11/21 07:11
Hi JTravel

You misunderstood me, the train ride to Kyoto and the airport are 2 separate trips. We will visit Kyoto from ShinOsaka one day and the next day from ShinOsaka to the airport.
by Edmund rate this post as useful

Sorry 2007/11/21 19:50
I am so sorry for my misunderstanding...

... 2007/11/21 20:07
Anyway, 5 days for 3 cities is very packed. Under your itinerary, you wont see anything in Osaka.

What about booking a hotel in Kyoto instead of Osaka? Do you have something to do in Osaka?

Osaka and Osakan people are really easy-going, but this time it might be better to spend more time in Kyoto...

nozomi 2007/11/21 20:43
It will not be necessary to reserve an early afternoon nozomi from Tokyo to Kyoto, as the train starts in Tokyo, so you are just 10 min earlier at the platform and you queue in front of the door of a nonreserved car. Even expect this train to be at the platform already. You can see available shinkansen under www.hyperdia.com or under www.japanrail.com timetables.
Yes JR trains you can buy by SUICA.

reply to this thread